audio opinions

I

incubus0209

i already got a 1.5 din pioneer cd player for my gn but i now want to get a system. i have no clue what to get or what goes well with what. does anybody out here know what amp and subs i should get? any suggestions?

Well I've had a lot of different brands of audio equipment in my day. I make it sound like I'm old, I'm only 20 but I've been in and out of a lot of cars when it comes to audio. My suggestions: When it comes to amps, it all depends on the money you wanna spend, is this for a possible competition car? Or just a neighborhood bass boomer? The best amps are Mcintosh,Zapco,Dynaudio, and Autotek, according to all the magazines and pretty much everyone I talk to, but they are the pricey ones too. Cheaper ones are your normal brands, like RF, Pioneer, MTX, JBL, there are a bunch. First I would pick you subs. How many? and what size? I've gone from one 10'' to 2, then from one 12" to 2. I personally like 2 12"s the best. As for front and rear, go with Cerwin Vega, Kappa's or Pioneer. You'll probably get a lot more suggestions, so I would hold of and shop around a little bit. These are just my opinions. Right now I'm running 2 12" vegas, Cerwin Vega 6x9's, Cerwin Vega 5 1/4 in kickpanels, and some computer 3.5 in the front (they were the best when it can to treble that I could find laying around). The 2 12" are being pushed by an Autotek Mean Machine trick amp, it's rated at 100w but its really 800, so 400w per sub. I could of went bigger but then your talking more money. And on there way is the Pioneer DEH-P77DH, and an Autotek Super Sport 400w amp to give 100w to the 6x9's and 5 1/4. So, I would definately shop and compare, when I began buying speakers and amps, I went for the most watts and learned big time from my mistakes. Watts don't mean crap. I went from a piece of crap 1000w Legacy amp that was actually 1/3 watts of what it said to the Autotek after a lot of questions and research. I went from 10"500w Blaupunkts which are ok but not great to the Vegas, by doing the same thing. There was a lot of other amps and subs in between but I eventually learned. Don't do what I do, that is buy the same thing 2 times, 3 times, just to get it right, shop around and take a fellow TurboBuick.com members advise cause I'm sure he'll be chimming in, and he's helped me as well (That would be AudioWizard, of course). As for subs, I'd go with Vega, JL, Kicker,Pioneer, there are so many of these as well. Best bet would be to go to a local audio store and listen to them. I wanted the biggest bass so Vega's were my choice, you may want something different. So to finally answer your question, well there is no real answer, it will have to be up to you. I couldn't tell you what to buy cause it has to be up to your taste, but I can tell you to stay away from Jensen,Pyle,Audiovox,JBL(SUBS). I haven't had any good times with any of those brands. Last thing, I like to stick to one brand, I would of liked to of had all of the same brand in my car but each brand had limited equipment, cerwin vegas amps are too much money and not big enough for what I wanted, and I liked Cerwin Vegas speakers better then Autotek, but I kept all the speakers the same brand, and the Amps as well. It doesn't really matter, just something competition people do, I like it. My sister has 2 12" JL's, and Xtant 1000w amp, pioneer front and rear speakers,a kenwood H/U, all put in by her boyfriend, and it sounds great. So you can mismatch. All depends on how much money you want to spend, and what type of system it is your looking for. My hand hurts.

incubus,

as blackdemon said, we need some more info from you before we can give much help.

What kind of music do you listen to mainly? Rock, Rap, Country, etc...???

Are you looking for sound quality/clarity, just a bass monster boom boom system, or possibly a competition level full on custom system?

Does the car have the Concert II option? If not are you willing to cut holes in the door panel to install speakers?

What kinda budget are you looking at? Etc... etc... etc......

I noticed you are in the Houston area, have you hooked up with the Houston Buick Club? I'm the club's director, so you can email me for info at: CaptainInsane_O@mail.com

Doug C.

If you have the cash up front or a credit card, figure out what your budget is because that will generally tell you what direction in which brands that you choose to build a system.

Depending on what your budget is, you will have basically 2 directions to go or 3 if you have an unlimited budget.

1) Entry level (Jensen, Profile, etc.......)
2) good performance level ( Fosgate, Kicker, Alpine, etc.......)
3) High end level (Nakamichi, a/d/s, Macintosh, etc.......)

I personally would not settle for entry level equipment. Even if you dont have a big budget, you can buy the better equipment piece at a time starting with a good head unit, drivers, amps, etc....

A good audio shop can help you put together a system to fit your needs and will let you lay-away the equipment if you want. The audio combinations are endless but what ever fits your budget and taste will be what you put into your car.

my .02

For whatever it is worth, www.etronics.com is selling a really cool sony amp for $200, XM-1505SX. www.crutchfield.com is selling the same one for $379. So, you can't pass that up. The amp is 40x4 and 150x1 (@4ohms). and it has built in crossovers.
I also bougt two pairs of sony speakers, XS-V1331 5 1/4 and XS-V6921 6" x 9. Also half off of what circuit city and cruchfield were asking. not the best you can buy, but they were what I could afford.

I just ordered it yesterday. I will post back how the service was...if my wife doesn't kill me before then.

I also bought two 12" MTX subs at circuit city for $79 for the pair. (They are the bottom of the line, but all I could afford. I have a friend that works at a local high end car stereo shop who said "no comment").

so, for about $400 I got two subs, two 5 1/4, two 6x9 and an amp to power them.

Hey Shawn,
It sounds like you found a good deal for $400.00 :cool: . As far as your friend at the audio shop with "No comment" about your equipment that you purchased, dont let that deter you from enjoying your equipment. My philosophy is " As long as it sounds good to you and you like it, thats all that matters" because it doesnt matter what "I" like or "he" likes because it is yours and you are paying for it and it is a matter of preference.

BTW, have you got it all hooked up? and how does it sound? Let us know, good luck.

Depending on what your budget is, you will have basically 2 directions to go or 3 if you have an unlimited budget.

Hmm, wouldent that be nice UNLIMITED!!!!!!!!!!

:)

What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to a whole lot of AC/DC and stuff like that. I went out and put alot of dough into up grading my bass. I was disapointed when it was all said and done. I dont know if it is just me but AC/DC just doesnt sound right with real hard hitting booming bass. Infact when ever I show off my stereo I have to pop in a donor CD I barrowed from a buddy. Hell I dont even know who the hell the band is on the damn CD I just know it will loosen the screws holding my liscence plates on. The end result is I was personaly just as happy with my cheapo sub system for the music I listen to. I say If you listen to rock then spend the dough on the surrounding speakers and go conservative for now on the sub set up. A REALLY good set of speakers would be the way to go.

HTH: Jason

My system: All Boston Acoustics speakers and Rockford power series amps.
4.5 pro components in dash
RM9 6x9's in rear
(2) 12.5 pro subs
800a4 4 channel amp
Bd1000a1 mono block sub amp
Adding:
6.53 pro's in custom boxes in rear
5.4 pro's in kick panels

Originally posted by postal
I dont know if it is just me but AC/DC just doesnt sound right with real hard hitting booming bass.

True!!, Have you tried to rock the house with Van Halen or Def Leperd?? The Bass sounds horrible also. It has alot to do with how the music is recorded.

Originally posted by mcss383
thats what ya get wiz for turning your vinyl into CD's. ;)

I know what you mean.......I am having a hard time loading those vinyls into my 12 disc Alpine changer :eek: :D ;) .

JBL subs. work great for rock music. Low distortion clean, tight, bass, drum and guitar. No boom boom out go the lights..... ;)

They know rock..... :)

hey thanks for all the suggestions.. my pioneer player is a DEH-P77DH. I have pioneer 4 by 10's in the back, i like them. but i like to listen to rap and alternative. im willing to spend 400 for the whole set up. so what is good quality for the right price?

You wont get much for $400.00 unless you go the route jsta6 did, entry level equipment will be what you get unless you purchase good equipment used. One of my 4 channel amps cost $400.00 but I have a powerful, clean amp with variable x-overs, bass, treble boost that was well worth the money.

for subs I would recommend Adire Audio's Shiva 12". their website is www.adireaudio.com . www.ampmanaudio.com also sells Adire.

For a comparison it displaces more air and handles more power than my 15" Lanzar and for $119! head over to www.carsound.com www.termpro.com and do a search for Shiva. Everyone who has them or has tested them has nothing but good remarks for it. Plus the front man (and the design engr) Dan Wiggins is about the nicest guy around.

for amps, there are a whole lot that would work, when it comes time to buy I say go to ebay and buy from there. Much cheaper. for around $300 you can get the JL Audio 500/1 and would push the Shiva very well.

Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil", great album, sh#$$@ bass, old Van Halen too!

The old Van Halen song, "Hot For Teacher" that song when cranked in the first part of the song sounds like a Harley running....HEHE!! Kinda funky bass but cool!