You can type here any text you want

autozone powermaster or new bulb?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TWISTER

I need a new accumulator bulb or ball depending on who you talk to my question is do I get the AZ PM and hope I get a good one or try and find an accumulator and just do that. I heard the PM was $150 with the ball and the ball alone was $100. Who has the ball? Part # on the PM would be nice also. Thanks. I dont really want to switch to vacume.

Called AZ as I found the # and $350 and they cant get them. Anybody know who has accumulators?

2 hours of searching on the net and Im going to vacume brakes.lol Didnt think getting PM parts was such a pain.

Last I knew he was out. Did he get more in?? If so what is he charging for them? Figured Id cut my losses and go to vacume brakes. I bought a switch 4 years ago and it cost $150. Not doin that again.

Ball

A company that remans them is A1 Cardone out of Philadelphia. ( spelled wrong I know) .

txregal said:
A company that remans them is A1 Cardone out of Philadelphia. ( spelled wrong I know) .
----------------------------
not bagging on anyone or anything here, but A1Cardone stuff is not exactly held in high esteem by the turbo Buick community in general.

Last I knew Cardone was the only one rebuilding these if you get it from Napa or AZ it was all the same just a different price. Autozone is $360 now if anubody cares but they have no clue when they will get any.

Rebuilding the complete unit, or rebuilding the auucmulator?

Complete unit. Found it in a search awhile back. It was always the same thing a couple years ago if you wanted a PM. 1 in 5 were good seems like. If I had to guess Id say in a few years we will all be using vacume brakes the way the market for the parts is.

I feel your pain in the search. I am on the list for one of Kirbans. I will wait it out unless I can find one somewhere else. I had vaccum brakes on my GN I had a few years back and they didn't feel as good as the PM I have on my T now. If last this long, might as well just replace the one part and be done with it. The wait sucks though.

TWISTER said:
Complete unit. Found it in a search awhile back. It was always the same thing a couple years ago if you wanted a PM. 1 in 5 were good seems like. If I had to guess Id say in a few years we will all be using vacume brakes the way the market for the parts is.
-----------------------------------
Well, I feel everybody's pain, but not me. I have a 19K mile turbo-t image to keep up, so about 2 years ago, or so, I bought kirban's very last genuine brand new in the original box complete AC-Delco powermaster. Sometime shortly thereafter, somebody advertised a brand new AC-Delco accumulator bowl in the original box, and I bought it. Then somebody advertised another brand new in the box 2nd generation accumulator and a powermaster brake switch, and a brand new in the box cam sensor, and I bought the 3 items. Shortly after somebody else advertised another brand new in the box powermaster brake pressure switch, and I bought it. This eases the pain for the 2 or 3 cam sensors that I bought and paid too much for. Damn car's going to outlast me by a longshot.

Wells said:
-----------------------------------
Well, I feel everybody's pain, but not me. I have a 19K mile turbo-t image to keep up, so about 2 years ago, or so, I bought kirban's very last genuine brand new in the original box complete AC-Delco powermaster. Sometime shortly thereafter, somebody advertised a brand new AC-Delco accumulator bowl in the original box, and I bought it. Then somebody advertised another brand new in the box 2nd generation accumulator and a powermaster brake switch, and a brand new in the box cam sensor, and I bought the 3 items. Shortly after somebody else advertised another brand new in the box powermaster brake pressure switch, and I bought it. This eases the pain for the 2 or 3 cam sensors that I bought and paid too much for. Damn car's going to outlast me by a longshot.

HEY EVERYONE HE"S HORDING THEM ALL..... GET HIM!!!

LOL :) I had a powermaster setup and some parts for sale on the other buick site for a reasonable price if anyone is interested. I don't plan on going back....

bishir said:
HEY EVERYONE HE"S HORDING THEM ALL..... GET HIM!!!
LOL :) I had a powermaster setup and some parts for sale on the other buick site for a reasonable price if anyone is interested. I don't plan on going back....
---------------------------------------
I really started out to just try and build up a few parts in spares, and then realized how absurb the idea is of stocking up on parts, trying to outguess what will break and what won't. It would break my heart to have to crossdress over to vacuum brakes on a 19K mile car. I have had enough of these cars and seen so many of them that the turbobuick engine compartment looks somewhat non-attractive without the powermaster. And the vacuum system set-up seems to be only a few percentage more reliable than the powermaster. Hope that everybody gets their brakes working well, whether they decide to go powermaster or vacuum. I know how fustrating that can be.

Same here. I have an advantage in that I have a direct pipeline to the source and I can usually speculate on what is going to be discontinued. Its a tough call trying to figure out how much a modification is going to de-value a car. I would rather have a PM on mine because its 10 times better than anything else IMO. My car is no where near being a low mileage survivior so what I've done is try and make the vacuum look as close to factory installed as possible and I think this is where a lot of guys fail and to a certain extent where the after market fails in replacement PM parts. Kirbans Cardone piece doesn't even come close to looking like either of the factory parts and I think that is a shame. You might as well go vacuum if thats the case as far as money and the value of a car go. I hate seeing crusty old junkyard parts in these cars. Right now I've got a couple of boosters I'm screwing around with. The plan is to powder coat the case with a low gloss satin finish. Not as flat as the factory stuff but not shinny chrome either. I've been toying with the option of black chrome too. Same stuff they use on motorcycle exhaust. The only problem is its not durable. Brake fluid really screws it up. The hard part is trying to find a booster rebuild kit. Looks like we'll be really screwed on doing it right either way. And every year it gets harder. Once the streets were filled with G-bodies. Now you're lucky if you see one a day. As the number of cars on the roads decrease so does the demand for parts to fix them.

Back