You can type here any text you want

Axle options

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, what options do we have, for direct drop in replacement? I have a bone stock driveline, and will be dropping in a detroit locker next season. I heard that there's some drop in axles, that have a few more spines on them, for added strength.

Also, tell me why c clip eliminators leak. What's the problem with them, and are they any better than c clipped axles? Please explain the differences to me.

If you upgrade axles you have to upgrade the carrier as well. I recently went to a 30-spline Eaton posi and 30-spline Moser axles and have had no problems whatsoever. I think a Detroit Locker would be overkill, but thats just me. What are your plans for the car?

Moser also offers 28-spline axles that will be a direct replacement.

I cant offer any help on the c-clip eliminators as Ive never dealt with them. I do know that Strange (I believe it was them) just came out with a serviceable unit thats supposed to work better. Cant say for sure because I never looked in it.

If you were closer I'd swap my 9" for the stock one you've got. 31 spline full floater with 3.5 gears and a mini spool. It'll be over kill for what I'm planning on but I may still end up using it.

I'm planning a reliable 10.9 car. I don't ever want to think about my driveline again. Once I get a feel for if my engine and trans is going to last, then I'm going to start worrying about traction. After I get a little traction with my slicks, then I'm going to my driveline next. Just wondering if I need new axles with my detroit locker or not

Honestly, if you upgrade the carrier up grade the axles at the same time. Go with the bigger splined axles at the same time and that way you won't have to pull the carrier and replace it at the same time you up grade the shafts. Simple ecconomics.

I'm seeing that. Though, since we've all had decent luck with our standard issue axle design, shouldn't I just go with the factory design, but more splines? Should I skip the eliminators altogether?

Id steer clear of the Moser 28 spline stuff mine rolled and bent in a high 11 second car:mad: with onky a 1.7 60'...FAIL.

I have heard of other folks having issues as well. I think Louie Lopez had a similar problem with his Moser higher count axles as well

It depends entirely how hard you are on the axle. If you stick with the stock design and you want to drag her get the upgrade to the 30 count splines for safety. If you really don't want to use c clip elims then you could always go with a rear disc set up which will keep the axle in place in most instances.

I see. 30 splines. Hmm. How much stronger are those? Will they take a low 11 second car's torque? (mostly street)

I am ordering parts this week to rebuild my 10-bolt. I am going with a TrueTrac carrier, 30-spline Moser axles, sealed bearings, 1/2 studs, and Motive 342 gear. To get away from the c-clips and avoid c-clip eliminators I am having Moser GM ends fab'd on my 10-bolt axle tubes and keeping my drum brakes. Should be pretty much bullet proof for my application. Call Moser, but I think 30-spline axles will be much stronger than what either of our setups require. It will cost me about $1200 in parts and another $300 to $500 in labor with me taking the rear end out of the car and put it back in.

For that much you could sell your stock axle and buy a Ford 9". Not being mean here but a lighter and stronger axle after all and you can get 31 or bigger splines for it.

That was a thought but I want to stay with the 10-bolt. I have a 9" in a Prostreet Nova, which is awesome. Nothing like a nodular chunk and a locker! I am definitely going a little further than I have to and of course I will lose even more money if I sell the car. But hey, it's a GN. I'm addicted... I want a stronger axle than a 28-spline and the c-clips worry me so again I'll spend an outrageous amount of money and hide it from my wife!!

I'm in a similar situation. The 30 spline route sounds interesting. Are the 30 spline Moser axles an off-the-shelf axle that I can buy from GBody or Summit Racing, or are they custom ordered/built? And how do we know which carrier to buy? Thanks.

I found that Summit has the best price for a 30-spline 8.5 10-bolt TrueTrac carrier. My choice is the Truetrac but there are other choices like a locker or auburn unit. Moser 30-spline "custom" axles can be ordered through Summit and are same price as if you bought them from Moser direclty. Moser said that even though their 28-spline axles are 30% stronger than the factory axles they suggest I go with the 30-spline for my application. To each his own and there are a lot of opinions out there so do some research and figure out what makes you happy. It's your money!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably do the 30-spline route. This is probably something I can do myself too.

Back