You can type here any text you want

Balancing a crank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Was anything done to it? If you did any work on it I would say yes. I build balancing machines for a living and knowing what the balance specs were back in the 80's to what they are now I would at least check it

I am having the block hot tanked, and thats it. The line hone was fine.

The factory balancing tolerances are VERY wide. What this means: When they built these engines, the factory allowed alot of imbalance in production.

The factory balance can almost always be improved with a professional balance job.

With a professional balance job: Pistons and connecting rods and carefully measured and corrected. The weight of each part is matched and recorded. The weights are used to calculate a "Bob weight". Six bob weights are assembled and clamped to the crank to simulate the weight of the rod and piston when the crankshaft is balanced.

It might cost you $300-$350 to get the work done, but your engine will run smoother, produce more useable power, and live longer if you have a full balance job performed.

The factory balancing tolerances are VERY wide. What this means: When they built these engines, the factory allowed alot of imbalance in production.

The factory balance can almost always be improved with a professional balance job.

With a professional balance job: Pistons and connecting rods and carefully measured and corrected. The weight of each part is matched and recorded. The weights are used to calculate a "Bob weight". Six bob weights are assembled and clamped to the crank to simulate the weight of the rod and piston when the crankshaft is balanced.

It might cost you $300-$350 to get the work done, but your engine will run smoother, produce more useable power, and live longer if you have a full balance job performed.
thanks for the info

Back