You can type here any text you want

Balancing Q's...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

S10xGN

RETIRED!
Hi All,

My machinist may have found me a std/std turbo crank here locally, but this means my (previously balanced) engine will need to be rebalanced.

Do I need to take the balancer and flexplate?

Is the factory 36.6% underbalance still what we're using?

About how much $$$ will this add to my "overage"?

TIA!

They needed the flexplate with mine. Dont' know about the balancer

To balance a buick you will need the balancer and flexplate with the crank.

Balancing the crank @ 36.6 usally results in removing materials from the throws.

Balancing the crank @ 50% usally results in adding heavy metals in the crank throws.

this is based on my expreriance balancing a few buick cranks @ richard clark shop.

HTH

pat broughton

To balance a buick you will need the balancer and flexplate with the crank.

Balancing the crank @ 36.6 usally results in removing materials from the throws.

Balancing the crank @ 50% usally results in adding heavy metals in the crank throws.

this is based on my expreriance balancing a few buick cranks @ richard clark shop.

HTH

pat broughton

Yep, that correct.:biggrin:

percent balance

So what percent of big rod end should be used for an 87 Gn 3.8 when changing to forged crank and internal balance for a street/strip car
I've seen 36.6 to 52 % . When do you use one or the other ?

So what percent of big rod end should be used for an 87 Gn 3.8 when changing to forged crank and internal balance for a street/strip car
I've seen 36.6 to 52 % . When do you use one or the other ?

From what I've researched, the 36.6% is for rubber motor mounts. It balances the side to side and leaves the vertical imbalance to the mounts. the 50% figure is for solid motor mounts.

What machine shop are you using down in SE Texas?

Rod's Automotive in Groves, he's been around forever and has done some turbo Buick stuff in the past...

Back