You can type here any text you want

Balancing the crank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

I'm getting my crank balanced while at the machine shop, is this good or bad is our engines externally or internally balanced and if they do balance just the crank can I still use the stock OEM felxplate and balancer? Just thought of this so better ask so things don't go wrong here :wink:

Balancing crank

They should use your dampner and flexplate along with your crank to ensure everything works correctly as one unit. WOuld not be a bad idea to step up to a better flexplate. Also our units are externally balanced.

Dave

So you are saying I should give the the flexplate and balancer. Should they also use the crank belt pulley/hub and fan?

Balancer, flywheel, crank, pistons, rods, rings.

Personally on motors that the crank needs polishing and not cut..using all stock stuff.. I slam it together.

With aftermarket parts.. then you must/should.

FWIW, the engine currently in my car is factory balanced.

Better be safe than sorry :-) As 2 previous owners been messing with it I'm not sure how well it's been done in the past and if any items been replaced (stock items that is) .... so spoke to the machine shop and it's not a big deal for them to do it just that the need more parts for the complete rotating assembly.

I read you can zero balance each part seperately is that how they normaly do it or do they put all the bits together and then balance it?

Balancing

Hi Jan!
I am going through a rebuild on the engine from my Regal,and I can tell you that I gave the machinists my stock flywheel and balancer,as well as the reciprocating assembly, new pistons, a rod bearing and a ring set. by the way, they added mallory metal in two counterweights and welded a drill hole on the first counterweight. I didn't know forgings were that much heavier! As our engines are INTERNALLY balanced, for the most part, I think that flywheel swaps are OK. I'll ask my machinist and get back to you. Good luck with your overhaul!
Dale

Back