Barracuda1968 @ TriState Raceway 10/6/2013

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
The converter is working well! Still a little tuning with timing and fuel but the goods are there. I believe he stated he picked up 7 tenths and 10mph just with the converter from last time he was out. Sorry for the soso vid; GoPro's don't work that well as stationary cameras from a distance at least.

Some pics too, his is very clean! Highly optioned too.

IMG_20131006_115918_775.jpg

Thanks for posting the video and pic! I have 4 video's to post. 3 of them are us running together. we4Mateo is a great guy and his car runs real strong. I forgot my camera bag at the track so as soon as I get it back I will get the videos up.

I had a great time today and I'm happy with the converter from Dave Husek. I'm looking forward to going back to Earlville again next year.

Thanks for posting the video and pic! I have 4 video's to post. 3 of them are us running together. we4Mateo is a great guy and his car runs real strong. I forgot my camera bag at the track so as soon as I get it back I will get the videos up.

I had a great time today and I'm happy with the converter from Dave Husek. I'm looking forward to going back to Earlville again next year.

Thanks Barracuda. It was great racing another TR guy. I very much look forward to next year for you as well. I'll get you the camera bag back ASAP as I had no one else get any vids of my car! I usually hire a guy and buy him lunch, but he was not available and my other racing buddies all had family stuff. Better turn out in the Spring when everyone is all fired up!

I actually like the slower days once in a while, it's easier to make more runs. I really had a good time. I just felt like I wasn't going to make anymore progress without better traction. Either it was the track or my tires or both, just didn't think more runs would help me learn anything that day. I have another set of GN rims and a set of 28"x 9" slicks I'll mount to them for the spring.

I can't wait to get the video's posted. Your car has some legs that's for sure. You walked me in the 1/8 big time. That told me a lot about what I need to get my car down the track. I'm not sure my car will tune to the ET and MPH your car runs but without sticking the tires to the track I'll never get any faster.

I have a nice parts list in my sig but I just have to wonder how much tuning will help my car? Back in the day when I raced the barracuda non forced induction you couldn't tune a combo to go from a 12.7 @ 110 to 11.7 at 120. It took $$$ and more parts if the car was set anywhere near what it should be to net that much time and ET.

I know everyone say's tune tune tune but can I really get this car in the low 11's? I played with fuel and boost a little and didn't see much change. I reserve judgment until I get the slicks on the back of it but my MPH didn't vary much from a rich 10.0 AFR to a 10.5 AFR so I should have had a fairly decent tune.

If I get my slicks on I can launch with some boost with my new converter and get the 1.7 60 ft but that won't change the MPH much. My understanding is the MPH will determine the HP and 60FT will net ET. I would think my car should do 118 to 120 MPH?

Looking forward to a 25 psi run with a good set of slicks next year.

I actually like the slower days once in a while, it's easier to make more runs. I really had a good time. I just felt like I wasn't going to make anymore progress without better traction. Either it was the track or my tires or both, just didn't think more runs would help me learn anything that day. I have another set of GN rims and a set of 28"x 9" slicks I'll mount to them for the spring.

I can't wait to get the video's posted. Your car has some legs that's for sure. You walked me in the 1/8 big time. That told me a lot about what I need to get my car down the track. I'm not sure my car will tune to the ET and MPH your car runs but without sticking the tires to the track I'll never get any faster.

I have a nice parts list in my sig but I just have to wonder how much tuning will help my car? Back in the day when I raced the barracuda non forced induction you couldn't tune a combo to go from a 12.7 @ 110 to 11.7 at 120. It took $$$ and more parts if the car was set anywhere near what it should be to net that much time and ET.

I know everyone say's tune tune tune but can I really get this car in the low 11's? I played with fuel and boost a little and didn't see much change. I reserve judgment until I get the slicks on the back of it but my MPH didn't vary much from a rich 10.0 AFR to a 10.5 AFR so I should have had a fairly decent tune.

If I get my slicks on I can launch with some boost with my new converter and get the 1.7 60 ft but that won't change the MPH much. My understanding is the MPH will determine the HP and 60FT will net ET. I would think my car should do 118 to 120 MPH?

Looking forward to a 25 psi run with a good set of slicks next year.

You def have a good handle on how this works. You can tune a 60' with these cars pretty well but you're right, traction at the track wasn't getting you any further and track prep was bad to say the least. I forgot to mention to you Sunday, but when I ran my TT chip, I was able to get better spool and thus 60' by playing with the 1st gear fueling offset, lean is mean and you can run leaner with less load in 1st, and increased timing in 1/2 but then bringing timing down in 3rd when the load piled on almost to street tune levels ie 20-21 in 1/2 and 17 or so in 3/4. I also lock my TC so that puts a heck of a load on a car. To get the most out of a low timing tune , you need to pack on the boost! Don't be afraid of 30psi. If you're fuel system is up to it, that engine will take it. You're exhaust housing and stock heads will always keep you from moving enough air to really hurt things short of a bad tune and that compressor won't super heat the air at that boost level either and alky will take care of whatever heat it does generate. Let me tell you though, these small turbos don't start moving a lot of air until past 25psi and then the gains are substantial. At 20psi, they flow similar to a stock turbo on alky; similar not the same so don't flame me! So, I think you can just tune your car to 120mph with what you have but it'll take a lot of boost to cram that much mass flow past those tiny valves! If you're running stock headers, they will crack as 30psi of boost is probably 75-90psi in the exhaust system. I've repaired my headers twice and need to go at it again this Spring.

You're journey is exciting and I'm sure many are interested in your progress.

I am running stock headers but I do have Champion Irons and the Hooker exhaust with a 3" DP. I have no idea what the difference between Champion Irons and stock heads are. Plus I have no idea if any work has been done to the heads I didn't build the motor. I do have stock looking rocker arms though. This car was built back in 2004 by a different guy than I bought it from so probably no way for me to ever know for sure what some of the details are.

I watched the video's on my camera this morning and you had me by 2 car lengths at the 330 mark. My car looks really slooooooow next to yours. LOL

You'll get there. And I keep trying to get to the post office, but the days have been getting away from me. I will ship that bag to you asap.

Sounds like we could have a few of these down there next year. Guess we need to get eric to get his cars back together.

Sounds like we could have a few of these down there next year. Guess we need to get eric to get his cars back together.

They're always together in one way shape or form but not always raceable. I agree though. Always good to see them in a group.

Have you found the videos to post for us? I enjoy seeing Buick's at the track. :)