Battery Running Down

jlasinski

I have a 1985 Grand National. The battery does not seem to be getting charged and runs down when driving. I started the car and disconnected the battery and it dies. Alternator for sure, right! Nope. Took it off and went to Autozone to have it tested. It passed, so now what? Any ideas of what I can look at next? Thanks, John

ALternator tests on the bench but have you tested the voltage on the car? What is it adling? Is your volt light coming on in the dash key on no start?

Volts light not working = no charge. Very common problem. Most likely, the culprit is the socket that holds the VOLTS lamp, failed due to corrosion on its internal contacts.

The fuse link is a positive feed device, and won't cause the problem you are seeing. If the VOLTS light is on when the car is running, it's a bad alternator. If the VOLTS light is on before you start the car, when the ignition key is on, then it may be a ground issue. Check the battery negative cable, and be sure the engine block is grounded to the firewall.