Bead blast and clear powder coat T wheels?

I did it to a set of X-11 and Grand Am wheels and it worked great. I plan on doing the same to my TT wheels.

1. Chemical strip
2. Bead blast
3. Polish the smooth areas (aandpaper then rouge)
4. Clearcoat

The bead blast might remove the old clear but a chemical strip goes fast. Also, the GA wheels looked terrible. I stripped the clear and they looked new (other than som minor gouges). The old clear is 90% of what makes the wheels look so bad.

Also, you might want to check out Bweavy's clear powder coated wheels. The price is great and from the photo's they look good. The problem is that some clear powder coated wheels I've seen look mottled (almost orange peel-ish). I'm hoping to see a set. If they look good, I might go that way instead.

Thanks! My WE4's wheels (stock front and Vector 8.5s rear) are already stripped of clear, painted gray and cleared (from a can) in between the fins and the fins/outer rim are polished. Look good, but that "clearcoat in a can" doesn't last worth a darn.

I never thought about the clear powder coat looking orange peeled... wonder if that varies depending upon the painter as would any other kind of paint.

Thanks again! Jay

I don't think they are orange peeled. BWeavy worked hard to convince me they aren't and I believe him. I'm just a ***** when it comes to paying that much money sight unseen.

I'd give him a buzz frankly. He's always had good stuff.

Hell Terry I even offered to ship you 1 for your approval ;). Thank's for the kind words.

Originally posted by terryk
I don't think they are orange peeled. BWeavy worked hard to convince me they aren't and I believe him. I'm just a ***** when it comes to paying that much money sight unseen.

I'd give him a buzz frankly. He's always had good stuff.

How about you ship me 4 for review!! Then I can be your official unpaid testimonial....

You know me, I shop till I drop then buy.