before installing.

After rechecking the old trans i see how the spring goes after putting it back together. It does appear to keep the pressure away from the rod. This is built trans and it appears the spring was left out on purpose then. I won't take the pan off if I don't have to. There are no leaks and everything is running great.

I guess i left out the part where my old trans crapped out.

D

2012-09-15_17.35.09-1.jpg
2012-09-15_17.34.45-1.jpg

It keeps the check ball off its seat when the cable is adjusted correctly. If the cable should fail or become too loose, it blocks off the exhaust passage and you get late, hard shifts (max line pressure) to let you know there is a problem. If it is left out, you could burn up the trans from loss of pressure. Some leave them out, some put them back in.

I bought my Huges Deep Transmission Pan (c/w 700r4 filter & gskt) from Nick Micale at Arizona GN. :)
Figured that I might as well buy this from a recognized turbo buick vender and give him my support! ;)

It keeps the check ball off its seat when the cable is adjusted correctly. If the cable should fail or become too loose, it blocks off the exhaust passage and you get late, hard shifts (max line pressure) to let you know there is a problem. If it is left out, you could burn up the trans from loss of pressure. Some leave them out, some put them back in.

I just found an email reply from a builder from 3 years ago . . . . If you leave the ball out it gives you more adjustment of the detent . Sometimes 200-4r's tend to shift late . When the balls in and you lenghten the cable for earlier shifts , you get to the point where instead of shifting earlier , the ball seats and you get 1-2 shift of 29 mph . I had been leaving them out in 200-4r's and 700's till about 20 years ago . I built one for a friend , he installed a cable that was too long and smoked the tranny and I'm the asshole .

I will re-install the spring then.

I've spent thousands of dollars thru almost every vender on here over the years including over $1000 thru Arizona GN. I'm sure his feelings aren't hurt.

Thanks for all the responses.

D

Wow, you went from a simple installing a temp. sensor unit to replacing the whole tranny unit, what happen?
Was there a problem with the 1st tranny?
Is this an updated tranny with the new installation of the deep pan and temp sensor unit?

I glad one of the member answer your L shape pin and small spring question, but what happen to the above statement if you don't mind me asking?

I just found an email reply from a builder from 3 years ago . . . . If you leave the ball out it gives you more adjustment of the detent . Sometimes 200-4r's tend to shift late . When the balls in and you lenghten the cable for earlier shifts , you get to the point where instead of shifting earlier , the ball seats and you get 1-2 shift of 29 mph . I had been leaving them out in 200-4r's and 700's till about 20 years ago . I built one for a friend , he installed a cable that was too long and smoked the tranny and I'm the asshole .
I built a killer 2004R for a friend's friend and he told him, during install, that he didn't need the "kickdown'' cable so they coiled it up and laid it on top of the bellhousing. I had told him that when they get it installed, I would adjust the cable properly for them. That was probably the only one I had taken the spring and lever out of. Cooked that trans and he wanted it warranteed. I refused and he made his buddy pay for going back thru it.

You'll also need to reinstall the TV Exhaust checkball in the Case for it to do any good.

:eek: Where is it located where do I get one and how hard is it to install?
I'm assuming that the original builder removed the ball when he removed the spring.

D

:eek: Where is it located where do I get one and how hard is it to install?
I'm assuming that the original builder removed the ball when he removed the spring.

D
You have to pull the valve body to get to it . It's shown in a diagram in the ATSG manual as case checkball number 55N.

55N checkball number 5 . . . . T.V. Exaust ( ATSG Recommends leaving the ball out of the case ) . Don't know if their reasoning is any different from what's been said .

If anyone can help with this.

What size is the check ball?
Where can i find one?
Can I reuse the gaskets?

I have the torques specs for valve body at 144 inch lbs.

D

The stock steel checkballs are 1/4 in. in diameter . Transmission Parts USA . WIT transmissions . any transmission shop . A friendly shop might even give you one . they are dirt cheap . Shipping will cost you more than the check balls .

If the transmission has recently been overhauled and quality gaskets were used , you should be able to reuse them . If on the other hand you're going to order checkballs then you might as well order new valve body gaskets even if you don't need them . You can order individual gaskets .

ATSG says 9-12 ft . lbs on the valve body bolts . I did mine at 10 .

So some builders remove this check ball pin and spring and some leave it in.

I'm starting to have mixed feelings on what I should do. This is a used built transmission with about 1500 miles. It obviously ran fine this way and everything was running as it should after I installed it.

It's appearing that as long I have the TV cable properly adjusted it should be fine.

It's a shame that non of the tranny gurus haven't chimed in.

D

Just my opinion but , if I did this thing for a living I would definetly leave the ball in just to cover my butt . As its been said if somebody other than the builder installs the transmission and does not get the cable right then the builder is made out to be the asshole . I left mine out so if it screws up I only have myself to blame . I too would like to see actually how many pros leave them out .

From "Stovebolt 34" 's Post #44 above I now see why it's left out. When non stock TV & Throttle brackets & cables are used the correct setting may be impossible to find with the Ball left in. As long as the TV cable is set correctly, leaving the Exhaust ball out shouldn't be a problem.

So some builders remove this check ball pin and spring and some leave it in.

I'm starting to have mixed feelings on what I should do. This is a used built transmission with about 1500 miles. It obviously ran fine this way and everything was running as it should after I installed it.

It's appearing that as long I have the TV cable properly adjusted it should be fine.

It's a shame that non of the tranny gurus haven't chimed in.

D
I have been building performance transmissions for 24 years. I may not be a vendor here, but I can build you a hell of a transmission. I have been doing these just as long as a lot of the gurus. I leave these parts in for the people who "I can adjust this myself" and get it somewhat close. I warranty my work and I am probably the ONLY one in my town who will warranty EVERY trans I build. Not pass on giving a warranty on something because it will be raced.

I've got a Hughes Deep Pan (with 700-4r) filter, that I'm going to be installing soon. Have had the outside surface powder coated satin black in the mean time.
By the looks of things.....I'm going to need to grind down more of the rear support tab than the fronts as it seems to be angled to sit deeper at the back of the pan than the front? Guess it will be pretty evident once I do a trial fit.
If anyone has any more specific info based on your own personal experiences / recommendations on grinding down the pan support tabs on this pan for the 700-4r filter.....I'd be more than grateful to hear from you.

thanks,

dave