You can type here any text you want

Belt driven oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Does anyone else run one of these belt driven oil pumps on their stage motor?
My motor came with one.,I could not use it,due to header clearance problems.
Now that is corrected,and using the stage front cover,I will be using the belt drive pump.
What is the trick in getting oil pressure,before the motor is started?Sure can't use the old drill and sbc pump shaft,thru the timing cover,as before!

Thanks,Austin

Here is the trick I use with a drill.Remove the belt from the crank pulley then put your drill chuck in the webbing of the belt while it is still on the pump.Now slowly start spinng the drill while pulling up on it.You will feel the resistance when you start to get oil pressure.
Tony

Tony
Thanks for the tip.I knew there was an easy way to do this.
I just got to remember to prime the motor before I get busy bolting things back on,and loose space to use the drill.
My header crossover is between to water pump and radiator,space is a big issue!
Thanks again
Austin

Austin

I've got a Stage II in my Cobra and it has an external oil pump. When my car is going to be started I simply crank it for around 5 sec (without allowing it to start) and I've got 50psi of oil pressure. I stock cranking it and then start it. Instant oil pressure. The Cobra has a Carburator so its easy to keep it from starting. On a Turbo motor you'd need to run a wire for to kill the ignition while you crank it. There should be very little load on the bearings as the motor is just turning over with almost no compression. ie throttle closed.

Loosening the belt is a pain...

Regards,

Bob

Bob
I know it sould be okay to just crank on the motor to get the oil pressure. It just is good to see that oil pressure gauge go up with out the motor running,atleast for the first time.
Loosening the belt.... mine does not have an adjustment to loosen! I have to slip the cog belt over the pulleys to turn the pump.
Thanks for the reply
Austin

Austin

I didn't realize that you hadn't started the motor yet. When I first started mine (after the dyno runs and after the motor was put into the Cobra) I simply removed the belt and put a allen socket on the front socket bolt and hooked it to a 1/2 drill. Wound it up and I'll tell you my Dewalt 1/2 drill has a lot of torque but that Weaver pump really strained it, I thought it was going to yank my wrist off when the pressure came up<G>

Anyway, I did it that way for a while but I asked the engine builder what he thought and he told me that IF the motor hasn't been sitting for a long time just crank it until you get pressure. One other point that might help. My motor originally was a 14 to 1 motor that we dropped to 11.5 to 1 for the street. Yours being a turbo has even less compression. He told me that the lower the compression the less problem with the "cranking" method. Although if the throttle is closed I don't see where there is much of any compression anyway.

Good luck with the project. I think your really going to like the dry sump pump as it works great with solid oil pressure at all times.

Bob

Back