best engine builders these days

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
so did a search on this subject and only found posts from more than five years ago
just saw the guy who went to two people before going cross country to Steve V
I am about to go to see Tom at champion racing just curious on top guys in the country
that are true die hards who really care and give the attention to detail these forced motors deserve

KDK performance in Orlando.Guys name is Kevin no first hand expieriance but have heard nothing but good things over many years.

I took my car from Florida to Virginia to Steve V. Well worth the trip. He will get it right before he lets it leave. He is honest, reliable, meticulous, and wont feed you BS. If you want it done right and want attention to detail, take it to Steve. You wont regret it.

Many don't see him as an engine builder, but Dave Husek built mine and I couldn't be happier. His attention to detail and honesty are above all in my book. In my opinion, he should be included as a top notch builder along with the other big names already mentioned. Any nay sayers, I invite you to take a ride if your in md, de, pa area.

thx guys just curious on the best of the best I am not getting a lot done but its still important to me
just valve springs and seats, and check out if timing gear is stock or not, may seem little but like you all know once you get into to something it can turn into more than you know. Most shops quality of work depends on work load if they are a business and money is the ultimate factor, still have to go and talk with Tom at champion as he is the logical choice being thirty minutes away but as we have seen sometimes you got to travel and like papy always said you get what you pay for

Don Cruz built two of my engines and he's in Tampa area. That's who I'd use. After I left FL, I shipped my last engine 1500 miles each way so he could upgrade it. I also bought a GN that already had a KDK stock rebuild in it, that motor was right on spec.

thx guys just curious on the best of the best I am not getting a lot done but its still important to me
just valve springs and seats, and check out if timing gear is stock or not, may seem little but like you all know once you get into to something it can turn into more than you know. Most shops quality of work depends on work load if they are a business and money is the ultimate factor, still have to go and talk with Tom at champion as he is the logical choice being thirty minutes away but as we have seen sometimes you got to travel and like papy always said you get what you pay for

You can pull the cam sensor out and look down the hole to see if you have a double roller or stock timing chain. You could also pull the cover on the side of the timing cover and put a little snake cam in there to see what you have. I’m in Northeast Florida and if I was going to have anyone work on my car it would be Steve V. Or Don Cruz. Tom at champion is obviously a good choice if he is willing to work on your car and has time. He’s normally pretty back logged or he was in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when I do get new valve springs are the OEM graphite gaskets worth trying to get

I’ve had great results with the Felpro graphite’s. I wouldn’t pay more for any other brand.

The best engine builder... or competent one? These motors are not difficult to build. Specs will vary from engine builder to engine builder, and if your building a non stroker motor, it's that much easier. Just make sure you are not the first Buick engine he has ever built. If you find the quote un quote best engine builder, your more times going to find a very steep price that goes along with it and a wait time that is 6-8 months long at best. There are lots of competent engine builders out there that have done lots of Buick motors. IMO find someone knowledgable that is close to you where you can drop in from time to time to see what is going on. Once you pack it up on a skid and ship it somewhere.....your just a number and it could "possibly" be one of the worst decisions ever made.

If you would like to see Steve Vaillancourt's work out of Virginia follow him on Instagram @stevesautomotive. He has endless videos explaining his process and showing you before, during and after what his engine builds look like.

You can pull the cam sensor out and look down the hole to see if you have a double roller or stock timing chain. You could also pull the cover on the side of the timing cover and put a little snake cam in there to see what you have. I’m in Northeast Florida and if I was going to have anyone work on my car it would be Steve V. Or Don Cruz. Tom at champion is obviously a good choice if he is willing to work on your car and has time. He’s normally pretty back logged or he was in the past.

Might be easier to remove the fuel pump block off plate. That way you won’t risk having it run like sh*t after, always a chance up not installing the cam sensor correctly.