You can type here any text you want

Best Flat Tappet brand?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS/GN

I want to build a new motor this year and want to keep it simple. Mostly stock parts with ported irons etc. In keeping with this in mind what is the best flat tappet manufacturer . I see we have a few to choose from. I am just curious to see if certain "brands" are better for core quality in todays market.

TIA
Kevin

I'm not much help here.... the best flat tappet belongs in the Smithsonian, not an engine.

We have installed many Comp Cams flat tappet 206/206 cams over the years, and the only 2 that had issues were customers that used Mobil 1 oil, one at 10k miles, the other at 25k.

This past month alone, we have built 3 turbo Buick engines with flat tappet cams vs. 3 with roller cams. :)

I have a 11 yr old Comp cams 212/212 in my one motor and it looks great. I just did an Edelbrock 204/214 in my new build. If your looking for reliability flat tap cams work but it still comes down to who is doing the work.

I think equally important is break in, and do you let the car idle alot?
the cam gets most of its oil from the side clearance on the rods, and as they
spin, they sling oil onto the cam and cyl walls, so if you let it idle alot, not much oil gets to the cam.
and then there is additives but that has been covered elsewhere.

Thanks for the input, I am mostly looking at what manufacturer is the best. I have looked at>
Edelbrock
Comp
Speed Pro
Lunati
Crower
Elgin

jmo. Last I checked Comp Cams recommended the flat tappet be nitrate coated. After I priced everything it was only $200 more to go roller. That was an easy choice.

Joe

Ran an old skool ATR grind the last 3 years with CC lifters...noisy as hell...but no issues. Had the engine freshened up in the fall and went with a CC 212/212 with NOS GM lifters. Quietest valvetrain I've had yet.

Back