You can type here any text you want

Best oil filter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Great Link... Thats a very informative board...for oil, fuel, and air filters. All youll ever need to know!!

I................ I personally think if you are clogging filters with lead from gas you got bigger problems, like maybe ring seal, but I am not a engine builder or claim to be. I was a dealer for Amsoil also and I think their products are not junk. I talked to Dan today and he said to run Wix filters (My race motor) so I'll just do what he says as usual... :biggrin:

You are right about some blow-by in my engine. This build was first run in Sept. 2006, and have just over 200 runs on it. There is now smoke from the accumulator at the end of the vac system. The oil has been getting contaminated quickly within the past 2 months and after just a couple trips to the track.

With our day racing done for the season, it will be pulled next month for a freshening. the junk in the last filter was mostly due to dirt/dust and lead contamination. It was like a paste?

Fortunately I use a Ford-type filter so I can also use the Wix racing filter which is made for high volume and flow. Unfortunately there is no Wix racing filter in the Buick size, but they do have one in their normal line.

A lot of good advice on the oil filter choice. "Hasting" makes Amsoil oil filters, my personal choice. Don't recall the micron size filter media though. I ran the "Puralator Per 1" big oil filter on my last GN, with the large filter adapter. Engine use does determine what works best. I was told never to use synthetic oil ever in my last ANS Engine or in the rear end. (Pete B. and my rear end builder's advice) My SRT8 Jeep, 6.1 Hemi came with Mobile 1 0W40 right from the factory because of very tight oil clearances, so in that case syn was OK. Filters with a good drain back valve is a must. MHO Gene

A lot of good advice on the oil filter choice. "Hasting" makes Amsoil oil filters, my personal choice. Don't recall the micron size filter media though. I ran the "Puralator Per 1" big oil filter on my last GN, with the large filter adapter. Engine use does determine what works best. I was told never to use synthetic oil ever in my last ANS Engine or in the rear end. (Pete B. and my rear end builder's advice) My SRT8 Jeep, 6.1 Hemi came with Mobile 1 0W40 right from the factory because of very tight oil clearances, so in that case syn was OK. Filters with a good drain back valve is a must. MHO Gene

"Hasting" does not make Amsoil filters, at least not to any knowledge of the techs at Amsoil, They may have at one time partnered with them, but are not currently involved with them at this time. Donaldson/Wix helped designed the current line of filters and they are under thier license. Hastings at best may only assemble some where down the line if anything at all. They are not involved with the design or science behind Amsoil. If you want further info, just click my link by my signature, it will forward you to an Amsoil page.

Amsoil design. Media made by Donaldson. Assembly done mostly by Wix to Amsoil specs. They have been known to farm some of the assembly to other factories but Wix is the primary builder as far as I know.

Anyone want to know what the "best" air filter is lol.

Funny as I used to take of an account that printed shipping boxes and "Amsoil" filter boxes were sent from Hastings Factory. Not a recent observation but still was noticed by me. Personally, I don't like Amsoil. No flame to anyone just bad experiences using their products. I was a former Amsoil Dealer and used it in my first 87 GN and other vehicles. Filters are the main subject matter and of course up to their application determines which one works the best. The Per 1 uses a "Viton" drain back valve and probably a very small micron filter media so in some instances it would not be the best choice. I always use a very good oil filter and chosen not by price. I used the K&N oil filter on my 6.1 Hemi Engine but at $12.50 ea, a spendy one for sure. Another View. Gene

Funny as I used to take of an account that printed shipping boxes and "Amsoil" filter boxes were sent from Hastings Factory. Not a recent observation but still was noticed by me. Personally, I don't like Amsoil. No flame to anyone just bad experiences using their products. I was a former Amsoil Dealer and used it in my first 87 GN and other vehicles. Filters are the main subject matter and of course up to their application determines which one works the best. The Per 1 uses a "Viton" drain back valve and probably a very small micron filter media so in some instances it would not be the best choice. I always use a very good oil filter and chosen not by price. I used the K&N oil filter on my 6.1 Hemi Engine but at $12.50 ea, a spendy one for sure. Another View. Gene

The EAO filters have been out for a short time. I have no experience with the older filters but I've heard they were average at best. I have said before and I will say it again, no one offers better filtration in a full flow filter. I have posted the links.

As for their oil in a race car, I don't know that they have an oil I would feel comfortable with. I run their straight 30wt ACD in the TL with tons of ZDDP. If they made a 40wt to the same specs I would use it. I prefer a straight weight since it doesn't use any VIIs that can shear down under load.

You may be right...They may just print the boxes...but have nothing to do with the actual filter, and the quality of Amsoil products have greatly increased. As stated in previous posts...independant tests show Amsoil to have better filtration and flow than any out there to its application. So for one to want to use a lower grade product, when a better one is availiable dosnt make sense to me. If Amsoil screwed you over then I could see a boycott...but based on product alone..no! When used with Amsoils synthetic oil and the EAO filter you can go 25,000 before you OCI. And have seen them go to 60,000 without failiure. I dont use synthetic in my GN but in my late model Cars I do. Combined with the Ea Air filters you get even better fuel economy and performance. Not to get off topic but the amsoil air filter out performs the K&N..in flow and filtration ( I hope thats where you were going with this cool84) So for a few dollars more for a oil filter and oil you get 25,000 miles before your OCI, versus every 3,000.

So the break down: 25,000/yearly 3,000/3months
This is an estimate
80.00 every 25,000= Amsoil 1 years time $ 80.00
60.00 every 3,000= Mobil 1 1 years time $ 240.00
30.00 every 3,000= conventional oil 1 years time $ 120.00

This post is based on an average Daily Driver, not a race application.

Just did a oil change on my buds Blackbird stg 2 Firebird and we used a Amsoil EA Filter.
Could not get it to seal!!!

Pulled it off double checked all the seals and evrything reinstalled and still leaked (yes the filter was filled and seal lubed pre install and not overtightened).
Went back with a mobil 1 extended perf filter and all is well.

Just did a oil change on my buds Blackbird stg 2 Firebird and we used a Amsoil EA Filter.

Pulled it off double checked all the seals and evrything reinstalled and still leaked (yes the filter was filled and seal lubed pre install and not overtightened).

I'm sure that was a fluke. I never had a problem even with 100psi cold pressure. Are you sure you had the right 0-ring size?

Amsoil EA user here since they came out. Never had that problem.

Back