Best Subframe Connectors for TTA

kenny brown are round-

and any hollow bar is stronger than a solid bar, round or square-

both my tta's did just fine with no subframe connectors, and there was no tell tale signs of body flex- no paint problems at all-

Q?-

are the ssm frame connectors sold as the complete kit, bars, lower control arms ect for 400 plus,... or are they sold just as the 2 bars??

any brand you pic, im sure they work pretty good on cutting the squeeks and rattles out--

BW

Ya can get just the SFC by themselves..I ordered mine from Summit..

My opinion is still the square is stronger cuase it is bigger in diameter..

I know of a couple TTA's that have had body probs for not using the SFC's

I will say without them..If I jacked the car up on the front crossmember..it was tough opening the doors..with the SFC doors open fine.

I also use a hotchkis STB..

I made my decision based on my long term goal with the car.

You know it's fairly easy to produce 450, 500 hp with these turbo Buick engins. A hand full of well thought out mods and bingo the motor will test the strength of parts down line.

My objective is to bring the car to it's highest performance ability without breaking stock parts (fingers crossed).
I think it's been proven when the 3.8 creeps up to the 600 hp mark it will will eventually puke parts.

With this in mind I focussed on the take off or specifically the 60' times. You know the old ruel. Every tenth you take off the 60' take 2 off the ET. Yes the stock rear is strong but not enough to yank a 3500# car in the 1.5 range time after time. Anyone try get parts for the 9 bolt lately. Ever seen a drive shaft break? I look at the car as a total package. I wanted a bullet proof bolt in rear that would work with the stock suspension design. I bought a Currie 9" ford (3.50 gear, spool, 35 spline axels,1350 yoke, 12.5 disc-4 piston alu cals). The S&W suspension package is designed to go with the Curry rear in an F car. I'm not an engineer but I can tell this complete package was designed by pro's. The fit and finish is the best. ( the one's who know me will attest to my compulsive attention to fit & finish) I then completed it with an MMC aluminum shaft. Although this system was designed to work with an exhaust I run a dump,... all the time. I love to hear the turbo. I plan to go to the Buick vs Mustang shoot out in Noble Ok end of the month so maybe a few could take a look at my set up. I'll try & post some pics too if anyone wants to see.

regards

:D

I will say without them..If I jacked the car up on the front crossmember..it was tough opening the doors..with the SFC doors open fine.
I second that. I was able to jack up one wheel almost a foot in the air with the other 3 tires firmly planted on the ground - talk about body flex. Couldn't even get the door to open. Now with the SSM's on the car it feels as rigid as my GN. I would definitely get the SSM's. But if you don't get those, at least get some type of subframes on the car. These cars should have come with subframes already on them.

Razor, I followed what you said with cutting the TH down pipe. It came out perfect, no more banging into the subframes. Thanks!!

GNandTTA,

:D :D :D

Thanks for listening to the been there and done that ;)

Originally posted by GNandTTA
I second that. I was able to jack up one wheel almost a foot in the air with the other 3 tires firmly planted on the ground - talk about body flex. Couldn't even get the door to open. Now with the SSM's on the car it feels as rigid as my GN. I would definitely get the SSM's.

you frequently jack the car up by one side??????

hmm well i guess if the only jack you have is the stock one located in the trunk, then thats the only procedure you can do-

the way i do it is, drive the cars front wheels up on blocks of wood, perhaps a few 5x8 pieces left and right, and that will allow any jack to fit in the middle of the cars front crossover- then the car will be jacked up straight, and not try and look like a 20 psi launch

the best part is the doors open normally, and the car doesnt get bent into half the way you are jacking it up-

im sure the cars bend a little, ( subframe car) but even without the bars, under NORMAL driving and jacking, the car should feel tighter than a stock GN-

at least all the tta's ive had feel tighter in the corners than any turbo regal ive driven even without the subframe connectors

you frequently jack the car up by one side?????? hmm well i guess if the only jack you have is the stock one located in the trunk, then thats the only procedure you can do-
Umm, ya, using a hydraulic jack and 1 jack stand for maybe changing the oil? No sence in raising the whole car for a 10 min. oil change.

at least all the tta's ive had feel tighter in the corners than any turbo regal ive driven even without the subframe connectors
Huh? Maybe tighter in the corners because the car is flexing all the way around them. A GN is much more rigid than a TTA. Add the subframes and they're comparable.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Umm, ya, using a hydraulic jack and 1 jack stand for maybe changing the oil? No sence in raising the whole car for a 10 min. oil change.

Huh? Maybe tighter in the corners because the car is flexing all the way around them. A GN is much more rigid than a TTA. Add the subframes and they're comparable.

no comment, go about your daily routine-

but both of my tta's without the front sway bar feel more solid than any gn/ turbo regal ive owned-

either car, i try to jack it up by the center of the car, just so it doesnt bend the car for extended time-

as i said, my tta felt as good as any of my regals and i never installed subframe connectors on any of my cars-
stock suspension mine was getting 1.60 sixty foots with the stock turbo and intercooler, i wonder if i would have really picked up with subframe connectors?

Bryan,
The use of subframe connectors isnt suppossed to enhance your performance 1/4 mile wise..its to help keep the POS designed GM unibody from tweaking..

If you've never heard of broken T-Top, buckled body panels,warped floor boards..then I guess your just not launching hard enough..

I guess according to your logic..they should outlaw subframe connectors and no one in the country be allowed to use them ...Less alone any handling improvements when you apply more than 500 horses through the drivetrain and have sticky tires..

A 10 point cage would be better in controlling flex..but I wont cut into my car this way...

And mine has done plenty of 1.6 sixty foots.

Talk to me after running down the track for a couple seasons and let me know the condition of your sail panels,bottom rear passenger seat area,and T-Top seal area..

Maybe they work..maybe they dont..I'm not going to be the one that finds out..

FWIW..this was the first mod to my car :)

Cheers

Julio

Originally posted by Razor
Bryan,
The use of subframe connectors isnt suppossed to enhance your performance 1/4 mile wise..its to help keep the POS designed GM unibody from tweaking..

If you've never heard of broken T-Top, buckled body panels,warped floor boards..then I guess your just not launching hard enough..
Cheers

Julio
I have broken t-tops, warped floor, and cracked paint at the sail panels. All of which happened before the SFC went on. That was also with many 1.6 and 1.7 short times with the stock setup.

Just flirting with disaster without them if you hit the track a lot.

TTA 1387, no kidding really..Nahhh..It cant be

I was just thinking bout taking mine off :rolleyes:

either car, i try to jack it up by the center of the car, just so it doesnt bend the car for extended time-

Do you measure where you put the jack to be sure it is exactly 100% in the center??? You know if it's off center by 1/1000 of an inch you might bend the car....

I have about 10 passes in the 1.5s and a couple hundred in the 1.6 Range and I dont have sub frames and my doors still close and I dont have broken T-tops.

I dont think its NEEDED like a RACEGAS is needed to go racing but its probably something that should be done eventually.

Some day I will get mine on there... I can tell you that the car bends like a pretzel when its jacked up. We kinda laugh at it, but I guess its not really funny hehehe

Oh No Man... It Can't be!!! ;)

I think I figured it out..See the trick is if you remove the front sway bar then the whole car can twist and you dont break/bend anything..

See TTA 1387..if you would of removed your front sway bar nothing would of happened :rolleyes:

;)

Yes and no..what you really need to find out is what transpired at the Nats in Bristol Tennessee a couple weeks ago to come up with that line..And its true application

And it wasnt Mike's or mine..we just took the ball and ran with it

;) ;) ;)