Best T top seals, fresh opinions WANTED :)

BooBoo231

I am finally rounding the bend on my Turbo T's restoration. I have spent years (due to $$$) on this car and have tracked down only the best parts for my baby. It is going into the shop "Stu's Collision" in Warrington PA next week. I have most of what I need but I do not have T top seals. I know I could do another search on here or anywhere on the web, but for us "T" owners, with T tops this purchace is Huge!

I want the best I can get, and Ive heard good and bad about almost everything Ive found?? I know I have to suck it up and buy one, but at this point I litteraly can't afford to buy a bad product.

I want to hear from anyone who would like to share. Im seriously stressed about this. Thank you guys so much for any info!

I totally agree! I am in the same boat. We are sanding now, the off to body shop but need t top seals and kit. I dread getting the kit ordered as I fear the stuff I read about the place will happen to my order. But I do need seals for it as well and money is tight. Can someone help a couple of guys out.

Thanx so much,
Jay

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I bought a set a little while back, not gm, believe it was softseal. fit good no complaints.

I bought the complete kit from mikes monte. The outer door sweeps from the kit don't fit. Everything else did. They were softseal and metco mixed pieces. The t top seal are really soft where they are molded together at the door. They work but are not nos. The outer door sweeps didnt have a bend at the front by the mirrors they where straight like a monte.

Also the door seal didn't have the hard plastic ends moulded into them like the factory. I glues the crap out of them and they still don't hold tight. The hardest part about replacing them was getting the old dryed ones out. Also haven't driven it in the rain so im not sure if they leak but they seem to seal fair.

Subscribed.

I am in the same boat too as I am torn on which set to go with.

Are all some kind of comprimise somewhere?

About 4 years ago I used the Metro ttop seals and the fitment was terrible and left a huge gap where the T top glass panel and the A pillar met. There was no adjusting it was just too short...
Not sure if they fixed it since then.

I bought the set from Gbody, about two years ago, I thought the fit was pretty good, no matter what you install, be prepared to adjust the fit for a good seal..The window, A pillar area needed to be adjusted to seal well, but after restoring a few cars in the past, this was not that difficult. I was pleased with the quality, actually liked it better than the GM stuff..

A few years agoI bought a set off of one of our favorite sponsored vendors, and took it to a professional to install. This was a guy who did it at gm dealers back in the day. He told me that part of them didn't fit right, and he helped me find nos in the original vacuum sealed bags on ebay for $$$$$$. After all that I still get some wind noise on the highway. But no water leaks. And I have opened up the panel on each top and adjusted the slotted holes, but was careful not to overadjust and get a great big crack across the glass. So get on ebay and see if there are any nos. There can't be too many left out there.

Here's a few pics of mine. My car looks like a barn find with all the dust. Lol. I put these on about 6 months ago. Dont get to drive the car much yet.

Attachments

• 1408077827790.jpg
    1408077827790.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 1408077854201.jpg
    1408077854201.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 1408077870260.jpg
    1408077870260.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 1408077885439.jpg
    1408077885439.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 1408077899530.jpg
    1408077899530.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 1408077929975.jpg
    1408077929975.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 214
The seal at the windshield was flat from packaging. I tried to get it to fit better with the ttop glass but I'm definitely not a professional. Ive washed it and they didnt leak but like I said earlier I haven't driven it in the rain. Hopefully I wont get too wet.

I am finally rounding the bend on my Turbo T's restoration. I have spent years (due to $$$) on this car and have tracked down only the best parts for my baby. It is going into the shop "Stu's Collision" in Warrington PA next week. I have most of what I need but I do not have T top seals. I know I could do another search on here or anywhere on the web, but for us "T" owners, with T tops this purchace is Huge!

I want the best I can get, and Ive heard good and bad about almost everything Ive found?? I know I have to suck it up and buy one, but at this point I litteraly can't afford to buy a bad product.

I want to hear from anyone who would like to share. Im seriously stressed about this. Thank you guys so much for any info!
Have been finishing my GN and installed Metro seals I bought several years ago. The fit was excellent. My only complaint is that there no hard plastic parts in the ends and the skin is a bit rough in the areas where the ends get attached but the OEM stuff is like that too!

I picked up my GN, brand new from the dealer in 1986, when I got in for the first time I looked at the seal and said this will leak some day because the GM seals also suffered from the same roughness.

I took all the trim off the car and replaced it using two types of rubber and foam tape, perfectly cleaned the trim because parts of the old seal may hide under the lips that hold the seals, and also had them all powder coated. I did not use weather strip adhesive because I wanted to check the fitment first and it fit so well I do not think I will remove it to use the adhesive but I do not plan on driving in the rain and the car is garaged.

The only reason my windows do not seal is because I have not properly adjusted the door glass - it was not even close but the glass was totally removed and replaced so adjustment was in order no matter what. The Metro seals are soft and shaped excellent - fit excellent and have an excellent warranty.

Just offering my direct personal experience with brand new 1986 GM seals and Metro seals.

HTH

Well thank you guys for all of your input. This is a topic that will never go away as most guys will be replacing these as the years go on and new products will be sure to hit the market. It will still be a little while but when my car is complete I will post a write up. Let everyone know what product I chose and my thoughts on it.

Same deal here. I'd like to replace everything on my 86 GN. I was planning to buy the complete "kit" from Kirbans...
Any reason not to?

Im in the process now of replacing weatherstripping for my TTOP. I forgot what brand or kit I got (I'll check) but I bought it off eBay back in April. Very soft stuff. I'm installing it today, so I'll see how it fits. I think at some point the weatherstripping has been replaced already, cuz I was able to pull it all off with relatively no problems. There was glue in a few areas but not much. Did it come that way from dealer?

I'm not gonna use adhesive on mine either (atleast for now). I live in AZ & it doesn't rain often here. Mine is a daily driver. Probably only wash it every 2weeks. So probably won't see that much water. I usually taped the seams on my TTOPS anyways when I wash it. Over-cautious I guess. Everything else seems to be in pretty good shape for most part so I'll hope for the best. (y)

BTW: I think my window needs adjusting as well. It wiggles a good amount, but I checked all the hardware & everything seems snug. Just a lot of movement between the dew sweeps. Which mine are shot. I don't even think the sweeps are touching the windows. So that could be part of my problem. Any advice?

I think it could be the plastic stabalizer clip on your window. Its at the back of your window and when you put it up a metal pin slides into it to clamp the window in place. Once the window is up. They are known to wear out as they are plastic. Less common but I have seen it....the allignment pin will crack. Take off your upper door panel and you will see the pin fastened by two bolts. Its above the outside door handle area. Yet, on the inside. You will need to remove the glass to replace it. Rivets will be needed to replace it. I hope this helps.