Best torque converters....

Realspool

Right now i got my sights on a Vigilante 3200 9.5 single disc lock up.I know the 9/11 converter is a good make also but the Vigilante has a 2.5:1 torque multiplacation.Thats hard to beat if true.Does any one here like Art Carrs 3200 9.5 better because i heard they were the best??

there are as many opinions around on converters as there are people on the planet....IMHO, the Vigilante is far and away the best l/u type converter (and I have tried the billet 9/11)

however, I am talking about the multi clutch version

if you intend to lock it at the track, you need the multi clutch

Art Carr doesn't make a l/u type race converter.......guys have good luck with his non lock tho

I know the Vigilante's are great but for the street Precision recommended there 9.5 3200 single disc converter lock up with my engine combination below.I initially thought that is was to much coverter but i do not have a bone stock motor ,just the stock short block.I really don't intend on racing the car more then once or twice to see how it runs and to get readings for a direct scan or scanmaster 2.I just want a street terror that has descent street manners.

Well you definitly have a street terror there...If it was me I'd go to a larger more laggy turbo, so I could get it to hook on the street...I have a PTE-53 and I love it...Takes a sec. to spool, but I can run some people down. JMO.

I bet yours is a blast to drive though, mine just wins LOL.

Yeah it seems like the Te-44 is much funner to drive on the street compared to my old much bigger slow spooling 60-1 turbo.Although running past someone on the highway feels great to, and the Te-44 would not compare with your PT-53 or my old 60-1 above 60mph.I just like the 44 turbo because it hits hard like a Chevy Big Block.Well maybe i'll get another turbo regal and go with a TE-62 or something close.Turbo lag really bothers me though, but you have to chooseif its bottom or top end and if bottom end will the car get traction.A car that cannot get traction is worse then alot of turbo lag if you ask me.Your Pt-53 is right in the middle and is a very streetable turbo.I was thinking about an Art Carr converter for my PTE-44 but he doesn't make one with the lock up so down the road it seems a Vigilante 3200 9.5 single disc lock up is a safe bet.Man will i have some Torque then!!!

that stall torque ratio number is simply not true,and if it is it might explain to those of us who understand torque convertors why a 3200 prescision on a 500 horsepower motor will never go higher than 2800 before pulling the tires through the brakes .stall torque ratios that high are not possible without limiting stall speed and this greatly reduces the turbos ability to build boost which is a direct result of consumed fuels velocity as it enters the exhaust system and becomes the driving member of the turbo influencing the turbos response to ingested air and its ability to gain rpm.i urge those who are interested to record engine rpm drops on ratio changes and select a stall speed as a result of studying this information.it will soon become apparent to you that with the 3.42 final drive and the 2.75/1.57 /1/1 ratio of the 2004r that we have a 200 rpm window to work with for maximum accelleration therefore 3200 to 3800 rpm stall is what is needed for most applications turning 5200 to 5800 rpms with the 3.8.it has been proven already by us with several customers who were willing to go with my reccomendations on this board with no negative results.after all ,it is a lock up convertor isnt it?

I may have been mistaken on the 2:5.1 torque mutiplicatio on the Vigilante.I know it 2 something though.The best Hybrid converters out there are the 9/11 and Vigilante torque converters.Im not looking to buy a converter right now just trying to get as much information as I can so I buy the right one for my driving style.I have to make the decision if i want to pay 150+ dollars or more for a Vigilante and would it be worth it??