You can type here any text you want

Best way to rotate engine to TDC while still in car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Need to rotate the engine manually to set TDC ... is there a "lazy" way doing this while engine is in the car without having to remove everything to get to the crank bolt and rotate it?

I tried using the alternator bolt but the belt is slipping, read about someone using this method but guess that would have been too easy :wink:

Any tricks you guys use?

I guess I need the transmission in neutral either way?

Pull all the spark plugs for one. I assume you have a stock location intercooler? You could remove the torque converter cover & turn the flexplate by hand. No it does not need to be in nuetral.

Apply pressure to belt tensioner (18mm) onto belt with one guy THEN use alt nut! Works every time!!

if you pull all the plugs it moves a lot easier , if the alternator method doesnt work (i have one that wont budge that way either)... use the 13mm nuts that hold the pulley/fan on and a long box wrench , even with a stock location i/c its easy to get at them reaching over passenger fender , just keep grabbing a different one as you roll it around .
i usually roll it till the indicator shows up then highlight the groove with a dab of white paint ( mark your 25* atdc while your at it for setting cam sensor ), then continue rotating till its at 0 on the indicator , then i mark a line on the hub to a point on the oil pump housing so i dont have to wonder the next time around when im close to TDC
, and if you put a compression gauge in the # its easier to find the TDC compression stroke as it will begin to get tougheras you start to raise #1 piston and the gauge will rise a little too

Trans does not need to be in neutral. It's just like the car is idling, it's not going anywhere, that is unless you have a manual trans haha

I always turned mine using the i/c fan when my car had one. Seemed to work OK.

All done!

Using the bolts on the crank pulley (13mm bolt heads) can be done but is a pain in the but ... hard to get to and can only rotate engine so much at a time.

Using the alternator (and putting tension on the belt at the same with a 18mm wrench) is the way to go and worked fine for me, thanks for the tip never thought of that one, and you can rotate the engine either way. Make sure you get a firm grip of the alternator nut and also put enough tension on the belt with the bolt on the tensioner pulley and it works like a charm.

I removed all spark plugs as well.

Thanks guys! Adjusted all my roller rockers so much happier now :-)

All done!

Using the bolts on the crank pulley (13mm bolt heads) can be done but is a pain in the but ... hard to get to and can only rotate engine so much at a time.

Using the alternator (and putting tension on the belt at the same with a 18mm wrench) is the way to go and worked fine for me, thanks for the tip never thought of that one, and you can rotate the engine either way. Make sure you get a firm grip of the alternator nut and also put enough tension on the belt with the bolt on the tensioner pulley and it works like a charm.

I removed all spark plugs as well.

Thanks guys! Adjusted all my roller rockers so much happier now :-)

That old 18 mm wrench works everytime!! ;)

Alternator nut works everytime, alot easier when all the plugs are out.

Matter of fact, i just used this method 3-4 times saturday morning, made the job alot easier than crawling down on the ground.

Car had stock ic in place, what a pain to work around.. Love my front mounts!
BW

I wonder if it sounds like a train whistle like bubb rubb and lil sis?

Whoo whoo!:biggrin:

BW

Back