Easiest way to remove this bolt….

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
I have a weekend project. I’m going to change the underwood braces. I have these nice chrome looking ones that I want to replace the old ones with. They are much stronger as well problem is they are a bit longer, and the bolt that secures the older ones in is stuck. Is there an easier way to remove this bolt besides the inner fender well. What a pain in the ass

IMG_3234.jpeg
IMG_3233.jpeg

The old one looks like an aircraft/Nylock nut.

1). If ya don't care too much, just take the fastener out of the front of the old brace, bent it out a bit, socket on the nut, put pressure from brace on nut(pull on brace as ya loosen nut). Hopefully bolt doesn't spin.

2). If ya can loosen nut a bit to create a bit of space, try to get a Dremel with a cutting wheel & just cut the bolt. If you're careful no worries, if ya scape up the inner portion it'll be hidden by the brace. If ya can cut it on the nut side of the brace, then no worries.:)

3). Cut brace by bolt & see if ya can fit a wrench on the bolt head then spin nut off. someone else obviously got it on(obviously) perhaps with the fender off.

Last edited:
Get a friend with small hands to help with the task at hand!
I’m able to eventually & successfully finagle getting a boxed end wrench on mine. It is a bit of a struggle to get the wrench on the nylock nut inside the fender well, but is definitely doable . Just be careful you don’t drop that wrench inside the fender well . It happens

Now I am thinking about having them welded in. I called around to see and dude told me 450 dollars for them both. I may see about trying to weld them in this weekend. Is welding hard or can one possibly pick up on it fairly quick. Watch a few you tube videos, rent the helmet and equipment and go to town.

Now I am thinking about having them welded in. I called around to see and dude told me 450 dollars for them both. I may see about trying to weld them in this weekend. Is welding hard or can one possibly pick up on it fairly quick. Watch a few you tube videos, rent the helmet and equipment and go to town.
$450 is highway robbery.. Doesn't one of those also go above the battery. if you weld them, the battery may not be able to come out!

I said no, but I forgot theses are bigger and longer too. I’ll look at it in the morning

Yes, that was a good call on the battery, I will just go the bolt route. It is right above the battery so reveal would be difficult

Drilling & tapping is an option as well.

Then no worries about the nut