Best way to tie down your car on a trailer

boostedLC2

What is the preferred method of retaining the front end of a GN when trailering? The back seems straightforward with axle straps around the axle but what is everyone doing for the front?

Thanks for the input,

Jim

There are holes in the frame to hook to. Make sure the tie downs are not rubbing on the tie rods up front as they will frey and snap.
I know it is kind of a vague description, but it has been a while since I have had a TR on a trailer.

Where in southeast Michigan are you located?

They don't use axle straps. They criss cross the straps connected from the holes in the frame, front and rear.
Tarey D.

Do a search on this... I know this topic was gone over in detail as to how and when to cross the straps, what angles the straps should be on, what's the best rated strengths for straps, where to secure on the car, etc.

I can't remember the title of the thread, but with a little luck it should be around.

Good luck.

Straps to the holes in frame front and rear. keeps the car from moving with the suspension when towing.
Mitch

I have a winch on the front of my trailer, therefore I winch down everything I haul. I usually just wrap around one of the A arms and then chain the rearend on one side and boom it.

Originally posted by buickboy
Straps to the holes in frame front and rear. keeps the car from moving with the suspension when towing.
Mitch

Exactly! Letting the car bounce on the trailer will heat up the shocks and if the oil gets above 180* the oil breaks down and the shocks loose their dampning- even on brand new shocks.. The shock temps can easily exceed 180 inside a car trailer if driven for a while so tie the car down by the frame.

ks:cool:

you should never have to loosen the front straps. Just pull the car foreward more than you have to, hook the straps in the front up (as long as you hooked them up right the last time and did not loosen them) then just put the car in reverse and slowly back up. As the car pulls on the straps it will squat the front end. Put it in park, set the parking brake and hook the back up. I use the holes in the frame , front and back like mentioned above.