You can type here any text you want

Beware of baffled VC grommets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pronto

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
I replaced my valve cover vents. Used the grommets supplied. Never looked close at them. Suddenly had oil pushing out the dipstick tube and on the header. Turns out the grommets were so restrictive next to nothing was passing though them. I cut the bottom half moon out and the problem was solved. Now I have to keep driving to get that oil off the header. Nothing like a big blue cloud come billowing out from under your hood at a light. Makes you feel like an ass. :(

I had a set of billet breathers before that only had small holes to breath through. Had to drill them out. Funny part, they came from a one of the most reputable vendors who said that the breathers are fine. LOL!

The more boost the more the case needs to vent.

You need a big blue cloud of smoke to make you feel like an ass?

Me? Not so much..........Lucky you! :giggle:

Last edited:
How 'bout when you're really stoned?

butt-rock.jpg

Valve grommets suck?

I use a Moroso 58817 breather which has rubber push-in bottom at least for TA valve covers.

Look it up as I am not able to take a picture as it has a direct hole to the breather.

The vents were from Metco, the grommets came with them. Don't know the brand. I never examined them. These grommets had 2 half moon baffles. Between the baffles are what I describe as flaps (not casting flash) that close off the gap between the baffles. There was slit in the flaps. The rubber was not soft so the "flaps" wouldn't open or close to let fumes pass through so they were essentially closed off making the whole purpose of the vents useless. Internal pressure had no where to go.

Back