You can type here any text you want

BGC intake on a 231 wont work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chevyII

I talked to a top engine builder and was told not to use a BGC intake on a 800 HP 3.8. He stated that low RPM velocity would suffer killing bottom end torque and puddling fuel. I have just purchased one and was looking for input. It was also stated that 274ci was OK but nothing smaller. Anyone running a BGC with a 231? I really hate to second guess this guy as most think he is a top builder of turbo buicks.

I am running a 249CI motor with one, I cannot say if i benefitted from it or not, As i installed with a completly new motor and combo.

I ran a BGC intake on my stage 1 with 83# injectors and a 224 duration cam. If the block did not crack the combo would have been into the 9's. The car was not used on the street but I did not have any issuses with spooling or low end torque and it seemed to idle well with the Speed Pro. I know Kenny did some dyno tests many years ago with this intake and he reported an increase on 40 hp on a 3.8 engine.
Jeff

Im running one on a 109 block with zero problems. no problem spooling , and no apparent loss of torque. To be honest, you would probably not even know its on there in regards to street manners.

The only drawback was that the coilpack has to be relocated 1-2 inches forward to clear the wiper arms....my car would stumble every time the wipers were midway!

hth

surej

I talked to a top engine builder and was told not to use a BGC intake on a 800 HP 3.8. He stated that low RPM velocity would suffer killing bottom end torque and puddling fuel.

I don't understand this guy's statement. How can a port fuel injected engine possibly puddle fuel? That is a comment straight out of a carbureted guy's mouth. The injectors dump fuel right at the valve. I can kinda understand the port velocity comment.........I'm not sure I agree. Turbo engines are much less sensitive to port velocity than carbed engines. Turbo engines don't rely on the vacuum created by the piston to move air while under boost.

I believe the Stock Intake would provide the best all around performance up to the 6000, maybe 6500 maximum rpm range.

The BGC manifold by design, uses 70mm or even a 75mm FTB, and has far more flow volume capacity for high rpm use. Some 274 combo's run upwards of 7500-7750rpms. I doubt that a Stock Intake would be very efficient in those ranges.

I have to agree that the larger intake on a smaller lower rpm (6.5k & below) engine would not be beneficial.

As far as possible fuel puddling, Injector placement in the intake runner has a great impact on this, especialy if the air flow velocity is low. i.e. small displacement, large injectors types that are streamers instead of spray etc.

If your combo/cam etc, will not see the other side of 6.5K I would stay with the Stock Intake ported w/65mm or 70mmTB etc.

Just my .02:)

intake

Thanks for the reponses, I'm not sure what to use as I also have the stock lower. I might try the BGC just to try it but hate to second guess the builder. I dont want to post his name but is a top builder from Indiana.;)

Re: intake

Originally posted by chevyII
Thanks for the reponses, I'm not sure what to use as I also have the stock lower. I might try the BGC just to try it but hate to second guess the builder. I dont want to post his name but is a top builder from Indiana.;)

I would always trust my engine builder, and have done so for my 10 sec., 9sec, and now my 8sec. build up. Hmmmm sounds like we have the same engine builder???:)

Back