You can type here any text you want

Big neck IC. Is it worth it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sweet6

More than anything I am looking for quicker spool up. Let me know your thoughts.

TIA

Sweet6 said:
More than anything I am looking for quicker spool up. Let me know your thoughts.

TIA

Wrong place to look for a quicker spoolup. TQ Converter, chip tuning, exhuast, turbo, boost control, etc.. those will affect spoolup.

Easy one.. RJC boost valve.

Complicated.. ball bearing turbo

I wouldn't hack up a TTA intercooler .. it didn't set the world on fire years ago when we tried one :rolleyes: maybe your running pig rich ???

If I did do a big neck, I would buy one already done.

I do have a RJC boost controller. My base FP is set at 42 PSI per TurboTweak. The O2s at the end of the track are at 780. So I think the chip is close.I can make boost at the line, but it is slower than I like. I may try my Max Effort chip from my GN in the TTA to see if that helps. Or I may have some fuel taken out of the TT chip.

How easy should it be to get boost off the brake on an almost stock car?

I ran fastest times with a dutt neck. Check out my post in the 1/4 mile times.

Is it worth it??? If you want to squeeze every bit of ET out then..Yes.

I suggest to max your combo first.

I will go the fuel route first. I just was not sure how much the stock IC impairs building boost.

Thanks

I have the Dutt neck on my stock TTA intercooler. For my car, it made 3 more psi alone on the neck. I don't know how much it gained, but it oesd flow a lot more.

Sweet6 said:
I will go the fuel route first. I just was not sure how much the stock IC impairs building boost.

Thanks

Why would it. Only if its cracked and leaking.

At low boost you have low air volume.. why would it.. makes sense.

If you put a huge front mount... it wouldnt spool any faster. We're not talking WOT performance, we're talking spoolup.

Quiky One said:
I have the Dutt neck on my stock TTA intercooler. For my car, it made 3 more psi alone on the neck. I don't know how much it gained, but it oesd flow a lot more.

But did it make any more power at the same boost level? In other words.. at 20 PSI with/without Dutt neck did it improve..

I've seen tooooo many cars put bigger IC and not pickup anything at the same boost. The core will flow better, thus having less pressure drop.. but depending on turbo and boost being run.. may not make a difference ET wise.

Ohh! Quicker spool up? No. Get a converter or remove some fuel from the chip. RJC is another added option that compliments combos. What is your goal with this car?Thats the main question.

Did it make it any faster? No, not much. However it allowed me to run more boost with no knock. Put all the mods together and the three PSI accounts for a lot. I would probably spend my money elsewhere now. Put the money toward an alky kit. Way more than 3 psi with an alky kit.

I would like the car to 60' in the 1.60 range on the stock converter and MT DRs. And run 115MPH in the quarter on Alky and 93. :biggrin: Looking for 11.50s to 11.80s.

To run 115-118 will need a bigger turbo than stock. Running a bigger turbo will need a looser converter. Unless you can bake a cake spooling it at the line for 3-5 seconds.

You may 115 in the winter with a nice tail wind and perfect conditions. On a stock turbo my best MPH was 113.5 once. Consistently ran 110-112. I could get the 1.6 60 foot on the D5 and the stock turbo.. that one is easy.. but mid 11 and 115-118 you'll need low 400's RWHP.. especially on a heavy TTA.

Pt51 turbo, 3000 stall 12 inch conv, springs, boost in the 25-27 PSI range... should get there.

Bo ran 11.34.. but his car was typically 11.5-11.7's with a TA49.. Some cars are faster than others. Look at the recipe's in the faq's section of this forum.

HTH

I have a GT3255 on it. The car ran 111MPH on 19lbs of boost. So at 25lbs it should pick up at least 4 MPH I would think. Here are my current mods

50lb inj
RJC boost controller
GT3255 turbo
dump pipe
Stock IC and stock DP(following everyone's advice and not upgrading these until running mid 11's)

I have seen Regals trap at 118MPH with TE34s at 25lbs and 60' 1.58 on DRs with stock converters. So I think my goal of mid to high 11's @115 MPH with my current mods is pretty realistic.

Should.

I always make judgements on the slower side of the scale, if the car is faster.. great. I hate giving expectations then the car not realizing them.

With the 3255.. 115 is doable.

My honest goal for the car is consistent 11.80s. I would like to see an 11.50 on a good day, but I am not going to go crazy trying to hit that number. I do not want to change the IC or the DP. At most I would put on a big neck IC.

Once I get the alky kit put on, I am sure I will be talking to you Razor. :biggrin:

Alky for sure. Go and buy a GN intercooler and put the Dutt neck on it. That is what I did. Total cost was $100 and it will always be worth that. If you really want to 60' that car, take the sway bar off. I had no problems leaving mine off, but it will handle like a truck. I would also suggest to do an E brake launch. 1.55 - 1.65 is what I would muster up at almost any track. Little tricks and tuning add up dont they Julio ;)

Bo

TT/Ameasap said:
Little tricks and tuning add up dont they Julio ;)

Like you wouldnt believe... there is no McDonalds..

Whats a front sway bar? :D

Back