You can type here any text you want

BIG Problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
okay, took the oil fill cap off and can hear what sounds like an exhaust or intake leak. when it idles there is no smoke, when you idle it up the sound obviously gets louder. as soon as the thing comes into boost it starts streaming white smoke out of the filler tube and exhaust. the smoke smells like exhaust not oil and doesn't stick around like oil smoke. i really think it could be intake problems.

this also became a problem after the post about "how to make a hot air move"
just to get it out there i have alot of experience with high performance motorsports. from putting my 450r atv on nitro methane, drove for Bigfoot, to putting 2 lycoming t55 helicopter engines into a 44 catamaran. and alot of street cars;)
just so you guys don't think i'm some stupid guy that doesn't know what he is doing:D

Ok, Cool :cool:
Now you know what to look for.
If the turbine seal in the turbo is leaking, it will smoke, and if the EGR is functional, you will get oil in the intake.
"If" it only blows oil out the dipstick after boost, you found your problem.

Now, if you say "it does not stick like oil", but still have oil out of the dipstick ............ don't know.
Still pressure in the block, like Brad mentioned.

Do you get KR?

Another lesson here for me to be learned;
Don't assume anything ..... :eek: And it had nothing to do with thinking you were stupid ......... more along the lines of "assuming you never got into boost, and it was blowing oil out the dipstick".
Gosh, I feel like one of those dipsticks........... :mad:

what is KR? please don't think i thought you were calling me stupid. i just wanted everyone to know i'm not so the wouldn't think i was. i ask alot of questions to be sure i never miss anything. best way to learn in my opinion. thanks for the help, ever angle helps.

what is KR? please don't think i thought you were calling me stupid. i just wanted everyone to know i'm not so the wouldn't think i was. i ask alot of questions to be sure i never miss anything. best way to learn in my opinion. thanks for the help, ever angle helps.

KR = "you biggest enemy" , Knock Retard. (ECM pulling/retarding the ignition timing)
It is the ignition retard by the ECM as a result of knock, (detonation)

i have no idea, i have only had the car for 2 weeks. and drove it about 13 miles.
it was spark knocking but only in it hard and after the first time i stayed out of it. then i put some octane boost in it and it stopped.

Where are you located since I see you don't have that listed in your sig? May be a member close by that can take a ride with you and have a look see??

start with the basics: if combustion pressure is getting into the crankcase, there is something leaking somewhere.. might just be an intake gasket, or it might be a head gasket or a piston with a hole in it.
my car smoked out the breathers like crazy at idle and would not build up boost at all- i was thinking blown piston, but it just had a head gasket blown out between 2 neighboring cylinders and into the intake valley, with the coolant passage still tightly sealed.
if it only builds crankcase pressure under boost, i'd be looking at the intake gaskets- which are relatively cheap and easy to replace.. hell, the bolts might just be loose...

do a compression check asap, inspect your plugs while their out. does it run bad enough where you think your hurting the engine by running it? otherwise, i'm in st. louis and could take a look at it. i'm also a A&P and know a thing or two about lycomings ;)

we didn't get to do much to the t-55s but we had to put them into the Budweiser Select catamaran. it is a 44 foot MTI. the motors came out of the Miss Budweiser hydro boat. if you are going to the ST. Louis boat show the Miss Gieco turbine MTI is going to be there this weekend.

I'm pretty sure it is an intake gasket. at least when i pull the intake off i can powder coat and polish it.

not gonna make it to the boat show but i'd like to. i haven't been to one in years.

i know this is being repetitive, but i'd do a compression check and spark plug inspection before i start pulling parts. i'd also put a borescope in each cyl while the plugs are out to look for damage.

hate for you to start pulling the engine apart when it could just be a turbo to intake seal or something like that

Finaly got a chance to pull this thing apart and I'm pretty sure its a head gasket. The intake gasket is bubbling next to the #2 cylinder and the #2 plug is wet. None of the others are.

Back