You can type here any text you want

BIG Problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

newgnguy

I just bought an 84 GN. Love the car but it has an O'Riely crate engine in it. It does have a warranty. The motor was put in a few months ago and has about 100 miles on it. It also has a new turbo on it. It is all stock. It idles like it has a miss and when you drive it or it makes any boost it blows oil out the dipstick tube and fills the car full of smoke. Smoke comes out the exhaust, oil fill neck on valve cover and anyother hole it can find. Any ideas or other cases like this out there?

sounds like a blow-by problems through the rings, but you never know, i dont know if the turbo has anything to do with it unless, something is hooked up wrong, but through the oil filler, and the dipstick, could be through them rings, remember there a 500 mile break-in period for a motor, you can't dog-it and no drag-racing hehehe!!!! just drive it normal, good luck, and let us know how it goes.:mad:

This is the second time I drove it. The first time was about 2 weeks ago and it was only 10 miles. Do you think the rings just aren't seated yet. But it didn't do it when I drove it home.

very likely, just drive it and see what happens, it would'nt hurt, sometimes, depending on the type of rings, they do take a while to seat, have seen it before, and since i have a machine shop i have seen it, especially with that milage on it, keep me informed.

different in every engine, but just drive it for a couple of weeks and see what happens, wish i could help you further but, really good luck.

Sounds like a pressurized block. Take the dam oil filler tube cap off and retest.
My 2 cents. Brad

what kind of oil is in it? sometimes rings will never seat if you run synthetic oil when the engine is new- try some straight 30W oil.
have you run a compression check yet, and taken a look at the plugs?
are the heads torqued down tight? i know you said it's a brand new replacement engine, but that don't mean everything's tight. that's why i got my car for $2k back in 2004- the car had a new replacement long block installed back in the spring of 1993 and started smoking and running really rough about 100 miles later. so the guy just parked the car on his used car lot and let it sit for 11 years. i picked it up and started tearing into the motor- none of the head bolts were past snug (i took them all of with my trusty 6" long Craftwman 3/8" ratchet) and the knock sensor wasn't even hooked up.. a little bit of boost with no knock protection blew the passenger side head gasket out between the 2 front cylinders and into the intake valley. $100 and a couple of days later and i had the car running like a champ.

Its definately pressurized. What should I do about it?

Remove the oil fill tube cover. Let the engine equalize. Drive the car around and let us know what happens. I have experienced this problem before. In my case the F**king oil fill tube cap was screwed up along with the hose to the intake. Lost 3 new turbos before before I got clued in. This is a simple test which will tell if this is your problem. In my case the solution was a new KN breather I got from Postons. Novaderrick can help and his post is well worth looking into. Keep us posted. Brad

Remove the oil fill tube cover. Let the engine equalize. Drive the car around and let us know what happens. I have experienced this problem before. In my case the F**king oil fill tube cap was screwed up along with the hose to the intake. Lost 3 new turbos before before I got clued in. This is a simple test which will tell if this is your problem. In my case the solution was a new KN breather I got from Postons. Novaderrick can help and his post is well worth looking into. Keep us posted. Brad

Tried ordering a KN breather from Poston's and was told it has been discontinued since June. :eek:

I just bought an 84 GN. Love the car but it has an O'Riely crate engine in it. It does have a warranty. The motor was put in a few months ago and has about 100 miles on it. It also has a new turbo on it. It is all stock. It idles like it has a miss and when you drive it or it makes any boost it blows oil out the dipstick tube and fills the car full of smoke. Smoke comes out the exhaust, oil fill neck on valve cover and anyother hole it can find. Any ideas or other cases like this out there?

Well, don’t want to “rain on your parade” or be the “bearer of bad news”, but I will. :eek:
Obviously, something is seriously wrong with the motor.
There are a few ways to get pressure in the crankcase;

1 - Past the rings.
If the rings are not seated by now, it will be hard to get them to seat and they may never seat. The cylinder walls are glazed. Do a search on "ring seating". There was a GREAT post on this a few years ago.
Having said that; Even new rings should never have this much blow-by and you are possibly dealing with an “out of round condition", broken rings, BIG ring gap, seriously oversized holes, cheap low tension rings, etc.
Most likely a combination of the list.

2 - Past the head gasket.
It could be simple; The head bolts were not torqued down to spec (as stated in previous posting) and the heads lifted, Or, the wrong gasket and wrong bolts were installed, or the deck or cylinder are not flat, or the heads bottomed on the locating pins, or ****, a combination of all of it. :frown:
With pressure in the crankcase, you may have gotten oil in the cylinders and blown a HG from detonation as well.

Some will say "How?"
Easy. With a stock set-up and working EGR and PCV ............ :eek:

3 – Past the intake manifold (under boost).
Don’t think you got into boost (??), but if the intake manifold leaks, ……. You get the idea.

With the oil coming out of the dipstick, you have some issues that is going to do a lot of very expensive damage, if not fixed.
So, "my idea" (since you asked :tongue: ) is to pull the motor, return it under warranty and get another one, or get your $$$ back.
You will need to start from ground zero.

I think you have a lot of other challenges ahead than your challenges in this post :eek: ;
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/276151-how-make-hot-air-move.html
(PS: Read the sticky for a link to recipe's :cool: )

okay, took the oil fill cap off and can hear what sounds like an exhaust or intake leak. when it idles there is no smoke, when you idle it up the sound obviously gets louder. as soon as the thing comes into boost it starts streaming white smoke out of the filler tube and exhaust. the smoke smells like exhaust not oil and doesn't stick around like oil smoke. i really think it could be intake problems.

this also became a problem after the post about "how to make a hot air move"
just to get it out there i have alot of experience with high performance motorsports. from putting my 450r atv on nitro methane, drove for Bigfoot, to putting 2 lycoming t55 helicopter engines into a 44 catamaran. and alot of street cars;)
just so you guys don't think i'm some stupid guy that doesn't know what he is doing:D

I am still on the pressurized block idea. Your issue sounds like a presurized block has blown out the seals on your turbo which means huge smoke screens of white exhaust. In this situation the turbo is throwing oil into the intake. Simple research-Pull the air intake to the throttle body. Inspect the compressor wheel area for any oil. One idea before you commit financial disaster. Brad

Back