Bigger Brakes

thepremier

I just wanted to know if anybody had a link where they sale high performance brake systems for the G-Body. I am going to be putting some bigger wheels on my GN, and I want to upgrade my brakes first. I also want to convert from drums to disc brakes in the rear.

I was thinking either Baer, Brembo, or some other high performance brake system. Anybody have any other suggestions besides Baer and Brembo?

Thanks

Another alternate would be to piece a system together with Coleman rotors, AP Racing calipers....depends how much homework you want to do. I'm working on a big brake upgrade on my GN with Coleman rotors, Alcon hats, E55 AMG (Brembo) calipers. I need to fab up some caliper mounting brackets which is the hardest part.

Willwood makes kits, but they are not as friendly as Baer as far as matience.
Check StopTech, they make some nice kits. Just make sure to pick a wheel that will clear the big calipers.

Nick

Yes.
Back in '03 when I bought my Baers I was back and fourth between my WRX and GN. The GN's brakeing ability compared to the rex was scary, so I upgraded the GN. The GN felt like it could stop quicker than the WRX with the front kit. I picked up an STi a few months later, that blows the GN out of the water brake wise (four piston brembos). But I would not want to drive the GN with the oem brakes.
I also have rear disc's, I am just too lazy to install them. :rolleyes:

Nick

I've got 12" Baer's all the way around. Definitely worth it IMO. Also converted to vacuum. Excellent stopping power.

Top Speed said:
I've got 12" Baer's all the way around. Definitely worth it IMO. Also converted to vacuum. Excellent stopping power.

How much did you end up paying for the complete setup?

for the low cost builder like me just run caprice ( b-body) spindles,12" rotors and calipers. the factory g body calipers look like toys compared to the caprices :eek:

thepremier said:
How much did you end up paying for the complete setup?

IIRC, it was $1200. That included new front spindles, zinc coated, drilled and slotted....

Call up Jack Cotten in Mass. especially if you are gonna buy a set of fronts and backs from Baer.

He can get you a decent price on Baer.

It's around $2K-$2.1K for the 12" sport 1.25" thick rotors zinc washed slotted and the rear kit.

I converted to f body spindles with global west upper control arms. Has anyone ever did this .

salvageV6 said:
Call up Jack Cotten in Mass. especially if you are gonna buy a set of fronts and backs from Baer.

He can get you a decent price on Baer.

It's around $2K-$2.1K for the 12" sport 1.25" thick rotors zinc washed slotted and the rear kit.

Thanks Alan,

I love mine, have the 11" sports from at least 4 years ago. They aren't the cheapest set up out there but they are without a doubt the best. I have 11" and 12" fronts in stock, with a set of rear on the way. They come with the spindle, new bearings, billet alimunum hub, wheel studs, rotors, calipers, SS brake lines and more. The coolest part is that they come come completely assembled and only require popping the upper and lower ball joints as well as the tie rods end. Remove the old assembly and drop on the new set-up, bleeed and you are done.... it doesn't get any easier than that. If anyone is intested, give me a call at the shop.

I agree! I installed the 11's on the TFS car and LOVE them. Stopping is NO PROBLEM :D

Just as stated they come complete and ready to just pop in! It was easy!

My only question is, has anybody else found the recommened fluid in a can?

I know you can order it but I was in a rush and no local stores carried it or even heard of it coming that way any longer :confused:

lazaris said:
Jack,

Would you know how much lighter they are over stock?

Sorry, I should have wrote it down, we did the weight comparison when I put my 11" kit on my car, but I just don't remember. Next chance I get, I'll weigh the original set up. For the customer looking for the weight saving I would recommend the 11" kit, the 12" kit has massive rotors, don't see any weight savings there. Also, the 11" kit should work fine with the draglites as well as the stock GN rims, worst case scenario would be the need for a 1\4" spacer which Baer also supplies us with. Baer recommends a 16" rim for the 12" kit, although if I remember correctly we have installed that kit with a set of 15" rodlites using somewhere around a 1\2" spacer.

12" and 13" kits are heavier than the stock stuff, thick massive rotors.

Real daily driver and road race type brakes, not lightweight drag only stuff.

I didn't weigh my 12" kit and the stock stuff, guessing 5-10lbs. a side.

One arm lift into the box scale. :p

They come with prepaid shipping labels to send the stock spindle back, perhaps someone has the weights already.

I bet Rick E. at Baer knows. :)

Big Brake Upgrade

I used to put together and sell both the Baer brake systems and my own system using B body spindles. I run the B body spindle with 12" 1le rotors w/B-body calipers on the front and 12" Baer on my personal car. A friend and I one day at the track, to test them out were trying to see who could slow down the most to make the short turn off at the track. These cars with the proper modifications will out perform anything this side of $150K.