You can type here any text you want

Bigger problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

police4412

OK guys I need help!!
New engine built 500 km on engine. While in boost it burns oil. The engine makes 80 - 100 pounds of oil pressure. Oil pours out the Dip stick?????
Can anyone tell me why and how I can fix this problem???
Thanks in advance Ted

Is the 80-100lbs at hot idle or while RPM increase? Is smoke coming out of the tailpipes? What kind of valvecover breathers are you using? If you can take pics of the breathers and post them. Make sure you don't have too much oil in the motor. What oil weight are you running?

Pressure

The oil is not coming out the tail pipes it's coming off the headers. The undercarriage of the car go an oil bath. The oil came out the dipstick. I just removed the PCV valve and changed filter and oil for the third time. Everything is seems to be good. Is it possible that the new PCV valve I put in 500 km ago, was bad?
If it was why would it build that much pressure?
Right now I have nothing in the PCV valve hole can I take it for a drive to see if it's ok the vacuum line is plugged, or should I wait until I get a new PCV valve?

Thanks in advance Ted

Sounds like the problem is piston "Blow-By", hopefully the rings were installed correctly and will subside when you get a few more miles on the shortblock.

Kevin.

"When in boost" - how much boost exactly?

What PCV valve do you have? Sounds like you are pressurizing the block.

Don't drive until you figure this out.

Pressure in crankcase

Well I don't know what's doing it but I took the PCV valve out and plugged the vacuum line and everything is normal. I will try a new PCV valve tomorrow as I can't get one today as no one has it in stock. I will stay out of boost for another 500 km. With the PCV out no smoke or problems in boost?????

Ted

Ding Ding Ding!! Glad you found the issue. Under normal conditions the engine sucks vapor from that port. When you get into boost, it shuts so you don't do.....well, what happened to you.

Hopefully you caught it before it "pushed" anything important out. Like a seal.

are you using synthetic oil

my engine builder said to wait 2500 miles before using ,break in with good 10 -w 30,he said rings wont seal properly synthetic is too good for new motor and break in and first 2500 miles,just my experience, i have 18000 miles on motor no issues

My Engine Build

Block cleaned and machined, new Champion racing heads , Champion High Valve covers with vented breathers in each side , 212 212 cam, stroker crank, forged pistons with new rods, all bearings (cam, crank) all new seals, high flow oil pump, headers, power plate, ARP Studs heads and Crank, all sensors replaced (knock, O2, oil pressure), head gasket, intake gasket. I run a new 66 BB turbo, LS1 MAF with power in a box converter, progressive alky system, 3600 non lockup stall converter, shift kit. Bill Howard of Barrie did the build, he only builds race engines and he has built Turbo Buick 3.8, I'm going to call him on Monday and explain to him the problem. With the PCV removed and the Vacuum line plugged, the pressure is great and everything works perfect (It does not blow oil out the dipstick, while in boost). Only problem is it's free flowing into the atmosphere. I had to order a PCV valve as no one had one in stock so I have to wait to try a new one. I wont drive the car without one. I'm hoping it something as easy as a faulty PCV valve.
Thanks anyways for the info, I hope it's not as extreme as some of you suggested. I will do a pressure test of my engine tonight and will post the results.
Ted
PS. I changed the oil today and it was clean. The coolant is full and also clean. I washed the complete engine and under the car with dish soap and a cloth, so it's spotless. This way I have a good starting point.

good

might check auto zone for pcv the store here in tennessee stocks it ,all other local parts stores ,have to order it,

Can you post pics of the vented breathers and the valve cover grommets that you're using? If the grommets are like steps then you will have to cut one side out to open it up.

I had to cut my gromets or the breathers were sealed! Got to keep them breathers clean or they become less effective.

Breathers

Mr Gaskets that fit into the garments that came with the champion valve covers

And if you are running the felpro 1200 gaskets with the PCV valve you are going to suck oil into the valve. I just blocked the PCV on my motor.

My opinion is TOO MUCH OIL PRESSURE, 60# at WOT is plenty hot. Like said breathers are a must on both valve covers. Blowing out the dip stick is a sign of that. If that problem isn't corrected bye bye oil pan gasket and crank seals. I always break in my rebuilt engines with 30W non-detergent for 500 miles, easy on the boost and hold down the rpm and no WOT. I wouldn't use synthetics for, like quoted 2500 miles, and probably wouldn't run it at all. Remember these are a race motor and therefore should be treated like one. My opinion and others. Gene

Pressure is normal

Today I drove my car 250 KM about 200 miles. (No smoke). My oil pressure after warm up sits at 30 pounds during idle and 40 pounds cruising as I accelerate the pressure goes up. This is what I did prior to driving it. I opened the valve cover breathers from the inside some more, they were only opened a little (inside the breather is a splash guard to keep the oil in, with a small opening), I installed a known good PCV valve and changed oil and filter, running mobile 1 10W30. Now everything appears to be good. My new build has 780 km (500 + miles) on it now and is running better with every mile. I'm having a hard time finding a new PCV valve here in Canada. Tomorrow I will try NAPA any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Ted

Yes, take a razor blade and completely open one side of the baffled grommet. The small slit hole is not going to be enough. I've run into this before with the Mr. Gasket baffled products...oil would puke out of the dipstick onto the headers due to the crankcase pressure. Let us know!

Back