You can type here any text you want

Billet mains ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

I currently have a 109 block with billet center main caps , can the billet caps be used on another 109 block or even a 4.1 ? I know whatever block I put them on will need to be line honed but was wondering if they could be reused on a another block. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yep. Any machinist capable of installing the caps should be able to dress them and use them on another block.

billet caps are cheap though. It'd be a shame to ruin your 109 just to save a couple bucks on caps.

Ok cool I was worried since they were used already I wouldn't be able to reuse them again. Thanks

they are only like $130. Why would you want to remove them from the block, what's wrong with it. If it wasn't major I would sell that block with the billet mains in it, good selling point, and buy new ones and put those on the newer block that needs machining. The "new" block will require a line bore with the new caps.

Actually nothing at all. Motor has around 10,000 miles on it. I have a 5.3 that I am thinking turbo it. But there is something about wanting to keep the car six cylinder tha that makes it more impressive. I made 470 rwhp thru a 200r4 and a 9 inch ford with having issues. My goal is around 600 rwhp and be a dead realiable 9 sec car. I want to keep it a stock block cause around my way I can get more races with a stock block so thats why I am thinking 4.1 , but I realize that those blocks have there own problems. I figure with my problems fixed and couple of more #s of boost I should make 500 rwhp and that should put me around 10.80s or so. My current block has billet mains and is setup for a roller since it has a billet hydraulic roller cam. I will probably just sell it and do a 4.1 with billet caps or even a girdle.

If it's one or the other, I'd do a girdle. It seems some machinists have a hard time keeping the thrust surfaces on the same plane and square.

I've heard about those problems with going 4.1 too.....

....not sure what they really are though.

I've taken billet caps off of several blocks that got trashed for one reason or another. Sometimes they fit perfect on another block and other times.......not so much.

The register area on a used cap can be TIG welded up and ground on a cap grinder if they are just loose, but sometimes they just don't line up.....offset to one side way to far.

In fact, have 2 sets of billet caps in the loft that won't fit any of the collection of blocks I've got.

New caps aren't that expensive and its way easier to machine a new cap to fit a block than rework a used one.

What's the average price for putting the billet caps on a block? Sorry for going a little off topic!

In NC around 100-150 to hone the mains. Zero to install. But it's one one things that you do while your engine is at the machine shop. I seriously doubt that you would go thru the trouble of tearing down a block and just doing billet caps. Might as well get the treatment and get the whole block done and ready for business. Forged crank, better rods, a new magic stick and pistons.

In NC around 100-150 to hone the mains. Zero to install. But it's one one things that you do while your engine is at the machine shop. I seriously doubt that you would go thru the trouble of tearing down a block and just doing billet caps. Might as well get the treatment and get the whole block done and ready for business. Forged crank, better rods, a new magic stick and pistons.

I was trying to get an idea for a budget build I'm trying to get together. I planned on doing the billet main center caps, have the block checked out and bored over. Was wondering what that work went for. Thanks

Shhhhhhhh!!!! Quiet please, you said budget, in a sentence on a turbo buick forum. Just kidding, that is a strange word tho....

Shhhhhhhh!!!! Quiet please, you said budget, in a sentence on a turbo buick forum. Just kidding, that is a strange word tho....

Lol. Well I'm trying! After going thru the interior and exterior i ran out of lots of my funds for engine mods lol. My goals aren't very much. Just a bit stronger than stock...fwiw..

About a year ago I had one done, caps cost me $190 and the line bore/hone cost me $320.

"In NC around 100-150 to hone the mains. Zero to install."

Installation Zero? Your estimate is way low.

Maybe installation for for used main caps might be zero (if they fit perfectly), but not for new ones!

New billet caps can't be honed (and sometimes used caps can't be honed either). They must be line bored first. New billet caps won't even fit on the block until the registers are machined to fit the block.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...d-line-boring-on-a-cnc-machine-center.408345/

The labor to fit new caps to a block is about an hours worth of work. $100

Add the line bore. $200-250

Add the line hone $100-150

Total= $400-500 plus caps and studs

Last edited:
I was right on the money honing the mains. I wasn't charged for a boring service or cap fitting. It could have been thrown into the total price of machining the block. I had a saddle repair done to a stage 2 block. Block has been in service for 6 years now. Machining services vary like house payments in this country. There are still some good old timers out there.

"In NC around 100-150 to hone the mains. Zero to install."

Installation Zero? Your estimate is way low.

Maybe installation for for used main caps might be zero (if they fit perfectly), but not for new ones!

New billet caps can't be honed (and sometimes used caps can't be honed either). They must be line bored first. New billet caps won't even fit on the block until the registers are machined to fit the block.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...d-line-boring-on-a-cnc-machine-center.408345/

The labor to fit new caps to a block is about an hours worth of work. $100

Add the line bore. $200-250

Add the line hone $100-150

Total= $400-500 plus caps and studs

Thanks for the break down. I now have an idea.

Back