Billet odd fire cranks

Ive never seen a odd fire V6 crank before but id imagine the counter weights are completly different:cool:

I'll take a picture when it comes back from the machine shop. Its pretty interesting looking.

The oddfire billet crank & rotating assembly I've got, is balanced at 50%.
Oddfire cranks do look a little funny next to an evenfire crank.:D

Oddfire cranks do look a little funny next to an evenfire crank.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

I think its the other way around:) :) :) :) LOL

Syty's are even fire, but we have done a couple oddfire Syty's, as the even fire steel Chevy cranks are nearly impossible to get your hands on.

I have a page with pictures of even/odd Chevy cranks for reference, unfortunately, the site with the pictures is an @home page. I'll reload the pics at the server tonight.. here's the link

http://www.chitownsyty.com/tech/odd.htm

Running the Speedpro with oddfire is possible, but it's a pain in the ass most of the time. We can't get one oddfire truck to *START* at this point. It does require different Speedpro (FAST, sorry) firmware.

Split pin refers to the rod journals. If you look at a typical even fire v6 rod journal, they are split... the oddfire rod journals are common pin, this is the reason the oddfire is a stronger crank.

Also, FWIW, the new FAST eDist will work with the oddfire configuration. We're planning on running 6 LS1 coils on an oddfire Typhoon.

Brian Green
89 TTA

Brian,
What makes running the odd fire with FAST a pain in the ass? If you order the correct unit and use the MSD distributor and a digital MSD box, it is a piece of cake. I have done this several times (SBC and Chev 4.3)with great sucess, just wondering what you have run into???

Originally posted by Red Canyonero
...Also, FWIW, the new FAST eDist will work with the oddfire configuration. We're planning on running 6 LS1 coils on an oddfire Typhoon.

Brian Green
89 TTA

Brian,

We were planning to run a motec/edist/ls1 coil setup on ours, but at this point we haven't done any research into the dis portion of it.

I have a couple of questions:

I am unfamiliar with the edist's operation and capabilities at this time, can you highlite it for me in regards to your application?

What are you using for crank and cam position reference?

Thanks,

Chris S

I worked on one oddfire Typhoon, it ran fine, just adjusted sensor settings later on to smooth things out. This one is being a bitch.

Basically we have a Buick V6 crank trigger, and an MSD distributor with all the reluctors ground off except one (just used as a cam sync signal). We were given instructions to set cam & crank at 110 & 90 BTDC respectively. Last truck we did started up there, but didn't run quite right. This one will pop and sputter at those settings... Talk to Lance and a couple of guys... no no no... try these new settings... even worse..can't get a backfire. Talk to Lance again, he goes thru the code, gives me new sensor settings.... completely different than the last 2 sets. Try those... no go again. I'd like to think we are having some very simple problem occurring, as we're banging our head against the wall here. I put an oscilloscope on our sensors, to make sure they are working fine - signals look good. Timing gun shows very weird signals when trying to startup... we are going to test a proven good oddfire FAST box next, as the only things I have questions on are the ECU itself and the MSD box. The truck has an oddfire 6a. I was told the digital MSD wouldn't work with oddfire.. you have it working fine ??

Eight sec - what did you set your cam & crank signals at on the 4.3 oddfire? Was there a special model MSD box you used?

As far as eDist goes, it is basically a plug n play setup that will allow waste spark or coil on plug setups for those engines that have the signals to use some sort of dis setup. I was told that the eDist *should* work fine, plug n play, with the oddfire (should meaning "on paper" & unproven). Some people have gripes with the oddfire motors misfiring at high RPM, due to the weird firing angles and the distributor setup.

Oh,also, i put the pictures back up of the oddfire vs evenfire crank
http://www.chitownsyty.com/tech/odd.htm

Brian Green

We use the MSD digital 6 box, nothing special. Set the crank trigger at about 60deg btdc on #1, rotate the engine cw 35 deg and line up the rotor exactly in the center of the plug wire on #1. Put your reference angle in at 60deg and make all the boxes in the timing map 30. Start the engine, shoot the balancer with a light, move the crank trigger until your timing reads 30 with the light or you can change the reference angle to do the same thing(dont go less than 50) Then put all the boxes at 20 in the map and shoot the rotor, line it up with #1 while the engine is running and rotate th distributor to accomplish this.
Odd Fire engines are nothing new, most engines are odd fire, the Buick is actually the ugly duckling with its even fire split pin design.

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you mean here...

Then put all the boxes at 20 in the map and shoot the rotor, line it up with #1 while the engine is running and rotate th distributor to accomplish this.

Are you saying to turn the distributor to achieve 20 degrees of advance once you set the crank signal as you described previously?

What did you do to set the cam signal?

Brian Green

Turning the distributor will not change ign advance, this is totally set by the crank trigger, the distributor is used to set the cam sync, apperently you are using a sequential box with individual cyl control since you ground the reluctor off, otherwise you dont even need to run any wires at all to the distributor, it just stays connected to nothing.
You need to have a hole in the dist. cap right in line with the #1 terminal so you can shoot the timing light through the hole and phase the rotor in, the rotor will be in the center of the terminal with your timing blocks set at 20 deg and your timing light zero'd.
Are you familiar with setting up a Speed Pro with a distributor instead of a DIS? same procedure applies

Originally posted by EightSecV6
Turning the distributor will not change ign advance, this is totally set by the crank trigger, the distributor is used to set the cam sync, apperently you are using a sequential box with individual cyl control since you ground the reluctor off, otherwise you dont even need to run any wires at all to the distributor, it just stays connected to nothing.
You need to have a hole in the dist. cap right in line with the #1 terminal so you can shoot the timing light through the hole and phase the rotor in, the rotor will be in the center of the terminal with your timing blocks set at 20 deg and your timing light zero'd.
Are you familiar with setting up a Speed Pro with a distributor instead of a DIS? same procedure applies

First of all let me say it is an honor to be part of this bb, I have been reading for years and I love the GN, always have always will. I'm the one with the PITA Oddfire Typhoon. We are using a sequential SpeedPro box but when you chose to go Oddfire you loose the individual cyliner control, I am very seriously considering sending the box in and having the individual cyliner control added back. If you run no wires to the Distributor at all how does the SpeedPro get the signal in reference to #1 TDC? You must be referencing how to set up everything with the DIS box, I don't have this yet as we are trying to get it running this way first. We know it works as our good fried Ghettosled has an Oddfire Typhoon which runs great, he is such a great guy he is sending me his SpeedPro box to verify it isn't my computer that is bad. The only other "obvious" thing it could be is the Oddfire MSD Box somehow jumbling the signals. I just find it very odd that the Odd Numbered cylinders are firing correctly and the even ones are way off...anyone know a voodoo rain dance I can do to ward of the Oddfire Gremlins, I was thinking maybe the Truffle Shuffle might work ;)

Well the truffle shuffle didn't work :D but the right SpeedPro box did:eek: my box is over 2 years old and upgrades/adjustments have been made over the years, one slightly important feature my box didn't have was Individual Cylinder Control! Plugged in the loaner box and the truck fired right up on the first turn of the key :D Needless to say we have a very relieved and happy camp right now. Oddfire is really a lot of work, but it will all be worth it at 8,000RPMS and 30PSI :p