Billet odd fire cranks

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
Whats a new Billet odd fire crank worth?
Are they worth even buying at the right price and would i even be able to sell them? I know they are worthless to most of us:(

I doubt they would move with the Buick crowd. Odd-fire is an expensive upgrade. We are going to use one in another buildup, 3.750 stroke, so we didn't feel comfortable with a split pin setup. Motec is a requirement if you want it done right and most people... well most people won't.

Maybe one of the big guys, KD, Bill etc., would be interested at the right price. KD uses motec and has a lot of Buick engines waiting for buildups.

Chris S

Odd Fire

Geno, Drop me a email when you get a chance and let me know what you have. I buy odd fire stuff. Thanks Ron

I have not received the 3 full pallets of parts from the guy im getting it from.I sent him a picture of an even fire crank and he said thats what the cranks looks like :) At first he said it was odd fire and after looking at the picture he said it was even. The guy has NO idea what he has or that there is a market for this stuff in the turbo world:cool: Thanks for the replys, i just wanted to know if it was odd fire stuff if i would sell .Looks like i will be getting 3 cranks and one is a new billet.I will also be getting 3 on center blocks and one is new:eek: I cant wait to see what all he has put on the pallets:D Thanks for your help:)

?

Chris,

Why would you need a MoTeC to run the odd fire?
As long as you have a true seq box what is the problem?

Just curious.

Odd fire could be made to work pretty easily given the right access to parts and know how and it is supposed to be much more durable than even fire. I wouldnt be afraid to undertake a project using one so maybe others would be interested as well.

John,

I don't remember exactly what you have to give up when running an oddfire setup, it was long ago when I looked into it. From memory you must do away with fan control, knock retard(sequential box required), and I believe fuel prime and/or one other function. A couple Syty guys have successfully done it or are doing it, Ghettosled and Odd-Fire V6 on Syty.org, they could explain better than I. I didn't do alot of research after my initial inquiry because motec was the right way to do it.

How much adjustament is the sequential box capable of again, 10/15dg per cylinder? Odd-fire order is 165432 on a 150/90/150/90 sequence.

Chris S

More Questions

So could this be done with a seq Fast System?

Jay ,

What other changes would need to be made?
Would you need to ditch the DIS?

Ron Tarabori explained it before. I think it was on Turbobuicks.com. You can't use the DIS. Very complicated.

John,

The easiest way to make a Odd fire motor work is to use a batch fire fuel management system DFI, Felpro, Motec etc. and run a distributor. I believe Ron Fruchey ran an Odd fire in his SSDX car and it was configured like this. Ask Kenny, he knows everything.:)

Neal

this is not really a problem, you must use a distributor and a V6 Chevy MSD but the sequential unit will work. You can get a good amount of extra cubes from the crank as you can use a longer stroke with the single pin. All SBC's and Sy/Ty's are odd fire.

odd fire cranks

Can someone explain yhe difference between the odd fire crank and the even fire cranks ?

Why is it necessary to use a distributor as opposed to a cam sensor and DIS.

Why is the odd fire better, or is it ?

I have a new on-center Stage 2 block and a motorsport 3.625 crank. What do I have ? odd or even ?

George, in ALBERTA

http://www.netSnapShot.com/users/2412/images/PBmtxcCoBQIAAA6G3d4_2412_96.pjpeg

This is a picture of a billet even fire crank with a split pin:) The odd fire has a common journal for 2 rods:cool: The odd fire is stronger at least buy looking at it. Felpro is based on a even fire crank.. I think i have that right:D The degree of rotation of the crank is the same for TDC on all the cylinders through the firing order..Clear as mud now ill bet;) At least thats how i understand it....

Odd Fire...

1.....90 Degrees
6....150 Degrees
5....90 Degrees
4....150 Degrees
3....90 Degrees
2....150 Degrees

Even Fire...
1....120 Degrees
6....120 Degrees
5....120 Degrees
4....120 Degrees
3....120 Degrees
2....120 Degrees

Its exactly how it sounds. The even fire crank fires at an even interval, where the oddfire crank fires at different intervals. The firing order is the same between the two.

The problem with using DIS is that the ecu wont understand the needed odd timed crank trigger input. Obviously theres ways around this, but its just easier to use a distributor and ignore the ecu for ignition all together as a distributor would just have the poles spaced at the correct 75 and 45 degree intervals.

Thanks guys,

tell me about the balancing of an odd fire crank. My limited knowledge makes me think that this ``odd firing`` during crank rotation would result in more vibration than an even fire crank.

Am I out in left field here ?

What does the term ``split pin`` refer to ?

George, in ALBERTA

Are you saying there is enough timming adjustament in a sequential box to make it work?

Originally posted by SIXBANGIN`
Thanks guys,

tell me about the balancing of an odd fire crank. My limited knowledge makes me think that this ``odd firing`` during crank rotation would result in more vibration than an even fire crank.

Am I out in left field here ?

What does the term ``split pin`` refer to ?

George, in ALBERTA

Look at the rod throws on the picture i posted and you can see that there is 1 rod per journal instead of 2:) Split pin or split journal is the same thing:cool: It just means that there is a stager in the side by side rod throws intead of the journal being common for 2 rods and thats what changes the timming.

Thanks Gene,

That was simple. I was looking for something more scientific.

What about the balancing and vibration ?

George