Blackout trim finish?

SBCregal

What kind of finish is used on the blackout trim? is it powder coated, or what? And is it a matte finish or gloss?

I'm asking because I have chrome trim, and want to go with the blackout trim, and would like to try paint the crome peices that I have. What would be the best way to go about scuffing/painting the trim peices?

Thanks,

Richie

ruff up the parts with a scotch brite pad then get from sem their trim paint and paint them.

The original OEM finish on the aluminum moldings was a water based epoxy called Fluorocarbon. Darn near impossible to duplicate the finish from a spray can anyway. The stainless steel parts like the wheel opening moldings were coated. They should be semi-gloss. Check out the powder coaters in your area. You can get black or any color in vararing sheens.

SEM trim black. You may have to find an auto body supply shop though as I haven't seen it anyplace else.

Ken B.

Thanks for the tip on the SEM trim paint, picked up a quart for $30, and the stuff worked great!

Not to hijack my own thread, but have any of you guys tryed the interior SEM paint? It says its for use on plastic, vinyl, and CARPET....Has anyone tryed that stuff on carpet and seats? If so, how did it come out?

Thanks for the answer about the trim paint! I was wondering the same thing.
As far as the SEM interior paints, I have used them on door panels, kick panels, A pillars and a dash as well as steering wheels.

They all last quite well as long as you prep them properly (clean with SEM vinyl cleaner, scrub and clean some more). The steering wheels were the only exception as they started to chip after a year or more. I think it's all the oils in the material as well as from peoples hands.
I used the premixed spray cans so if you get a quart you may have different results.
Also, it sucks on carpet, it dries and doesn't look good.

sem also makes a self etch primer,its great for bare metal,or stainless,then apply top coat over it.its available in spray can also.

can i use this same SEM trim paint to paint my wheel moldings and my t-tops edges on top where the handle is, the paint has faded and wore...

can i use this same SEM trim paint to paint my wheel moldings and my t-tops edges on top where the handle is, the paint has faded and wore...

Yep, sure can. Just wash and scotch brite everything so the paint adhears to everything. I've found that the wheelwells take a beaten from stone chips so you may have to do the wheelwells over again in a year or so. Still well worth it IMO. Hope this helps.

Ken B.

Well the eastwood interior paint IS SEM.

But I've used Underhood, And chassis black in a restoration, good stuff and a reasonable match to factory

on the ttops do you have to clear after you use this sem paint or?

No

this SEM is good the headlight bezels too?........is it a spray can?

Yes, works GREAT on the bezels. Mine came out like brand new!! And yes, it comes in a spray can, or as someone else said quart size also. Just clean and scotchbrite the bezels and apply 2 to 3 coats. Just make sure they're COMPLETLY dry before painting. Again, you will probably have to find an autobody supply shop to purchase the SEM as I haven't seen it in a reg. store.

Ken B.

You don't have to clear them.i redid all the moldings on my entire car 7 years ago and the all still look great used sem trim black.you can buy it at any paint supply store.