You can type here any text you want

Bleeding brakes, same as vacuum?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gninpa

Just got my first TR with the Powermaster still in tact. Replacing rear shoes & wheel cylinders tomorrow, do I just bleed them like vacuum (have someone pump then open the bleed screw)? Dont have to bleed the Powermaster unit or anything, just wondering if there is anything special to do when bleeding the cylinders.

Just make sure you dont have the powermaster resvior filled too high. When you start pumping the brakes the fluid fills up on the outer chamber and goes back down once you start the car. This with the lid off.

Great link, thanks! Looks like its just like pressure bleeding a vac system. Guess all I have to do is turn the key on and it will re-pressurize. Ill make sure I dont overfill it as well. Thanks again guys.

Either I am confused or you are? :confused:

To answer your original question, yes, you bleed the brakes just like a vac system.

The pump side, or assist side, requires no bleeding as the pump is self priming and also there is no way to bleed the pump.

When you install the new rear cylinders, just make sure there is fluid in the MC and gravity bleed each cylinder. Do NOT let the reservoir run dry or you will then need to bleed the MC.

After gravity bleeding, then have someone pump the pedal and bleed as normal. :smile:

Either I am confused or you are? :confused:

To answer your original question, yes, you bleed the brakes just like a vac system.

The pump side, or assist side, requires no bleeding as the pump is self priming and also there is no way to bleed the pump.

When you install the new rear cylinders, just make sure there is fluid in the MC and gravity bleed each cylinder. Do NOT let the reservoir run dry or you will then need to bleed the MC.

After gravity bleeding, then have someone pump the pedal and bleed as normal. :smile:

Nope, no confusion. Thats exactly what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure.

Lastly, I remember reading that you need to clamp the pin down on the Prop Valve while bleeding the rears, is that necessary? Ive never done it on any other car (or any other TR with vac brakes).

87gninpa;2757935......... I remember reading that you need to clamp the pin down on the Prop Valve while bleeding the rears said:
I have read that too, they must be on drugs, as I have never had to do that on any G body or similar vehicle! :biggrin:

Back