You can type here any text you want

Block and crank questions.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Car

What is the best way to tell (by looking) if a block is On or Off?
I know the casting numbers will sometime work but not always.

On a crank, how do you measure it to determine the stroke?
I know the most popular ones are the 3.590 or the 3.625 but exactly where do you measure to get this dimension?

Thanks,
Gary :)

If the casting numbers fail you then here are some generalities:

Dry sump blocks are on-center. Wet sump blocks are off-center or very early on-center. Cross-bolted mains are on-center. If the front of the casting where the front cover bolts is not flat like a production block but instead has a 1/4" or so step, it's an on-center.

To check the crank's stroke, you need a jig made for the purpose or you can chuck it up in a lathe. The jig has two v-blocks that you use to support the crank and a dial indicator setup. You basically measure to the rod journal at the bottom and top of the stroke and account for the rod journal diameter by adding the journal diameter.

I guess I would just look at the front and back oiling feeds. If it's on-center they will be on a angle. The off-centers were straight in.

I have never heard of a 25500153 casting to be off-center, but I guess anything is possible.

The oil feeds on early On Center 153 blocks were not angled. So don't use that as an absolute rule.

Dave

Back