block cement in a dayly driver

nice

i would really like to know what the buick guys are doing as far is this goes. i know alot of the supra guys are doing this with great results. i dont see why you couldnt do it as long as your cooling system is up to par. can anyone else please chime in. it would be great to hear from people that have done this.

I just ran some K&W block sealer through my cooling system because I installed cometic headgaskets and the studs were seeping some water...also threw in some GM seal tabs and no more leaks...I think it works great but it's a bandaid like anything else...just gotta make sure you flush out the crap really good after you have finished...no problems here

it supposedly helps seal any hairline cracks or imperfections in aluminum heads as well

hey

i think you are thinking of something different. where talking about block fill.

First of all, unless you plan to run mid-10's and faster, forget about hardblock in a stock build. At the point you need hardblock, you should have all forged internals, as well as a girdle and steel main caps.

When you do use hardblock, it can only be about a 1" around the bottom of the cylinders, or you will have NO water circulation. This will stiffen the bottom end somewhat, and have virtually no affect on cooling for normal driving.

Nick Micale said:
When you do use hardblock, it can only be about a 1" around the bottom of the cylinders, or you will have NO water circulation. This will stiffen the bottom end somewhat, and have virtually no affect on cooling for normal driving.

I've run in 115 degree heat, in traffic, and not overheated. A/C on too. The motor is filled with hardblock as Nick suggests.

Can you add that 1" of hardblock with a block that has already been align honed with billet caps or is is it going to throw it all out of alignment?

Thanks,

I would not add cement to block if it is already machined. It contracts as it dries. I have about 1-2" of cement in my DD (and it is DD - every single day in all weather) with no cooling issues. I noticed about a 5-10 deg increase in CLT's though. Not a problem, I am around 180. I also was able to get a little more than usual since i ported the H2O jacket ports. I filled the block to about the halfway point on the waterjacket holes and just ported it down to the stock hole. The flow around the hole would be crippled at that point if you were to leave it partially blocked with cement. Sloping it in would have little effect on flow from stock and will allow you to fill it up a little more (about 1/2" more). The block has been this way for over a year and there are no signs of problems with it.

Phil