blocking the EGR

that national

I am thinking about getting rid of the egr valve. is there anything i need to do if i do get rid of it like get a blowoff valve

no egr

Hi,
I guess you don't have any emissions concerns. Good, then block the system at will. Get ready for additional headaches regarding our old nemesis, detonation.I have no idea what you are running, may work nice. Have fun!

um, for one the egr is only active at idle. It closes when enough vacuum is made during throttle.
No issues if you have a chip that doesnt scan for the egr. I not only removed the valve, but the control solenoid and wiring for it. Also removed the tower inside the intate as well as the stump the valve was bolted to to clean up the outside appearance.

From the service manual page 6E3-A4-68, "The ECM will not energize the solenoid in "Park", "Neutral", or at idle."

Code 32 will set if the switch closes at idle, or, if it does not close under load (less than WOT).

Basically it operates under normal cruise driving, nowhere else.

But that is for most of your normal driving.

Get a chip that bypasses it and it's code setting and you are good to go.

Unless you think you may have trouble passing a NOX test.

Hi,
As the man said, egr is active during most of the driving we do,cuts out at wot.The valve is NOT open at idle, as was suggested.The car will ping like heck and set a check engine light if it's tampered with in stock trim.

I had my heads filled to block off the egr and left everything else like original for visiual purposes and have not had any issues as of yet and this was done a few months ago. :biggrin:

Hello if you take off the EGR you are going to have alot of problems in the long run.. What it dose is cools down your Cyld temp compustion temp more or less, So you are going to have problems with knock VERY VERY BAD your going to have bad exaust its going to run rich and you might take a chanch on melting pistions. But Do what you want not worth it in my book

I tend to disagree as most hipo motors run without an egr and as for the turbo cars i am running what is in my sig and running 20lbs and more of boost with alky and running 0 knock, show me a pro street car or drag car with an egr? plus i have 4gs skylarks and non of those have egr's I think you have been misguided by the state's emissions claiming that your car will not run right without it as most of the people i know with built up cars do not run egr's but like i said i disagree and may be wrong but i have not been told by other engine builders out here that i should not have done it and I agree.

Before we start scaring those who no longer use the EGR we must remember all of the muscle cars that did not have an EGR and did just fine without melting pistons etc.

And like others have stated, you should upgrade your chip to reflect the EGR delete, all else will be fine from then on.

Do What you want guys. Im just saying in a pro streat car that is running a 7 sec 1/4 mile do it ya becuase you arnt diriving it around town its only pretty much WOT. What this is what we were taught in Wyotech in High Performance engines so i must not know much :)

kosonen04 said:
Do What you want guys. Im just saying in a pro streat car that is running a 7 sec 1/4 mile do it ya becuase you arnt diriving it around town its only pretty much WOT. What this is what we were taught in Wyotech in High Performance engines so i must not know much :)

After trying to make sense out of that response, I would have to agree with the last part!! J/K :)

kosonen, do you have any direct experience with removing the EGR on a TR and then driving the no EGR TR? I only ask because it sounds like there are some people that have done it with no problems.

For those that have removed the EGR, did you do it with a chip burned just for no EGR?

Sounds like a question for a new thread - sorry for the hijack

kosonen04, What does Wyotech offer up about all the muscle cars prior to 1972 that ran much more compression, and did not have an EGR?

Here are a few links about the EGR.
http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm
http://www.carcarecouncil.com/emission_control/egr.shtml

Which by the way only came about to reduce emissions, not to prolong the motors life.

With a properly moddified chip, you will not have to sweat the EGR delete, especially on low compression vehicles like the GN at 8:1.

I would say that everyone running a Turbotweak Chip has the EGR disabled, haven't heard of any problems from us!!

Blown&Injected said:
No, you said it would be trouble.
you seem to have formal education in car stuff so what's the problem and why?

he said it would run rich and melt a pistion :eek:
i hate when that happens ;)
this is good entertainment ;)