You can type here any text you want

BMW wheels work? Just want to confirm..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

asrnj77

So the BMW wheels are 5-120 and I think I saw in an earlier post that this should work on the Regals. These are 40mm offset..

What do you guys think of these? I like the price and throw some 255/50/17's on..(maybe)

ASA AR1 Black w/Mach Lip

Those show the bolt pattern as 5-120... if you look up a GN, the bolt pattern is listed as 5-475..... don't think they'll fit....

Those show the bolt pattern as 5-120... if you look up a GN, the bolt pattern is listed as 5-475..... don't think they'll fit....

that's two different measuring systems- the GM pattern is 5X4.75", which calculates to a 5X120mm bolt pattern i think. there are math converters online to help you figure out what is what..
that said, i've seen stock BMW wheels on Monte Carlo SS's before.

This will lead to a debate. Technically 5x120 is NOT 5x4.75, but it is so close that some people say it's safe to use them. Depends on what you'll use the car for I guess, if you're going to launch at the track, I'd feel safer using the exact bolt pattern meant for the car. For a casual street car I don't think the less-than 1 millimeter difference is going to matter.

Found this similar discussion at a GTO forum:
5x120mm vs 5x4.75" wheel bolt pattern [Archive] - LS1GTO.com Forums

Aside from the bolt pattern, a 40mm offset with 6" backspacing will not fit without some thick wheel spacers/adapters. And a 40mm offset is going to have a small outer lip and will look more like a FWD wheel.

You might also check tire sizes available for 17" rims.
I have 17" on one of my trucks and have run into problems getting what I want....

that's two different measuring systems- the GM pattern is 5X4.75", which calculates to a 5X120mm bolt pattern i think. there are math converters online to help you figure out what is what..
that said, i've seen stock BMW wheels on Monte Carlo SS's before.
It actually works out to 5x120.65 Ive heard some people say no problem, and others say it will be an issue. I am probably going to try them just because there is such a selection, just hard to find a negative or zero offset.

I have considered that wheel myself many times. The BMW wheels in 5x120mm will bolt up, and many ddo it w/o issue. The .325 on each stud it is off is an arguable amount of stress, the main thing is get some centering hub rings for the BMW to buick hubs to relieve some stress.....AND post pics when installed.

Trust me, those types of wheels do not look very good on our cars. Looking at the wheel itself online is one thing, they look good, but it's not good on an old American car....

18s.gif

This is why I warn everyone to stay away from the tuner style wheels with the flat lip. From a side perspective, you get no real idea on how deep the wheels are. It ends up looking really funny. Those wheels had 3" lips but from the side it just looks like black dinner plates.

rpm-505-bc.JPG

am i wrong for thinking it would be spaced out evenly through the 5 lugs? So it would be .13mm per lug which honestly is probably negligible as its about as much as a thick hair. Hell its probably within a tolerance of a 5x4.75" wheels.

am i wrong for thinking it would be spaced out evenly through the 5 lugs? So it would be .13mm per lug which honestly is probably negligible as its about as much as a thick hair. Hell its probably within a tolerance of a 5x4.75" wheels.

Yes, your wrong... with 4.75"= 120.65mm, the difference (with a 120 mm wheel mounted on a 4.75" bolt circle) will equal a 0.325 mm decrease in radius at each lug.... and assuming the lugs 'center down' into the conical recess of the lug holes, that will then deflect (strain) the studs by .325 mm.... I don't know about you, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would want the force req'd to deflect the studs .325 mm to reside in my hardened studs.... ever tried to flex/bend a hardened wheel stud? put one in a vice and try it.... :eek: JMHO.....:smile:

Yes, your wrong... with 4.75"= 120.65mm, the difference (with a 120 mm wheel mounted on a 4.75" bolt circle) will equal a 0.325 mm decrease in radius at each lug.... and assuming the lugs 'center down' into the conical recess of the lug holes, that will then deflect (strain) the studs by .325 mm.... I don't know about you, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would want the force req'd to deflect the studs .325 mm to reside in my hardened studs.... ever tried to flex/bend a hardened wheel stud? put one in a vice and try it.... :eek: JMHO.....:smile:

This is why you occasionally see broken wheel studs from this set up, sure its only a fraction, but this is in a zero tolerance area that feels a lot of inertia when not dead on zero.
Like I say, some can do it w/o a problem, but sometime, for some reason, it just doesnt end up well.

you will have to run adapters to make work and it will still probably not be wide enough for my tastes. I've had 5 on 120 BMW enkei V1's on my gn for 8 yrs with adapters and never had a problem.

Attachments

• 100_0481.jpg
    100_0481.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 429
you will have to run adapters to make work and it will still probably not be wide enough for my tastes. I've had 5 on 120 BMW enkei V1's on my gn for 8 yrs with adapters and never had a problem.

did you use a 1.5 inch or 2.00 inch adapter in the back? did you use one in the front?

Back