Body Bushings

It seems that my regal is missing the lowers on #'s 3,4, and 7 so I'm going to replace them all with the 457915.

Also I want to install the #5 GNX bushing but how hard is it? I can't really see the direct spot to install it.

Last should I get the 457915 from a GM dealership or somewhere else? The #5 bushing I plan to get from GBodyParts.com

If you are ordering the 6-457915's, I find that you save a bunch on shipping if you can get them all together. GMpartsdirect.com has them for 6.62 per part plus shipping, which is probably not terrible, depending on where you are.

You could get the 556755 at the same time for 7.92 apiece, or you can get them from Gbody.

I have not lifted my body off of the frame yet, but I understand #5 just sits in there. I will see if I can get a pic sometime soon to help you.

Poly bushings are like half the price of GM's, contain ALL replacement bushings including the GNX ones, are obviously better and will not pancake (yet people say GM uses new material that doesn't flatten but I still will not believe that until I see it), you will gain rear tire clearance, downpipe/ac box/control arm clearance etc. I personally think its a no brainer. Kinda like alky, everyone wanted to find a con, but in the end, they just couldn't (besides ride quality). But I have seen half the people say the ride was harsher, and half that didn't notice a difference. Way too many pros here. I am a true performance fanatic and would sacrifice ride quality for handling any day of the week.

Obviously a good point that this is an opinion matter. Price is a big consideration. I decided to go OEM for at least positions 2-6. I have the OEM parts for 1 and 7, but may listen to MAP and go delrin on 1 and 7. I just wanted to post this information so people can use it if they choose to go OEM and want part numbers that will work.

Polys are too rough, especially for a street car. A nice set of new stockers are your best bet.

On a few street trip cars,I have done rubber uppers with poly lowers in all rear positions. I was experimenting and using some of the left over polys I pulled out of my car. It provided a stiffer feel out back without adding any obvious vibes. Certainly not worth the money uless you have the spare polys laying around. My new daily driver GN is mising a few lowers and I will replace those with rubber.

Polys are too rough, especially for a street car. A nice set of new stockers are your best bet.

This is obviously an opinion, as I rode in one that had the full poly bushing kit and I didn't find it rough at all. I like your idea about mixing and matching though. Have you experimented with many different combinations between the rubber and poly?

Ok. I put two pics on the member gallery for body mount #5. Something went wrong and I could not get more pics on. #5 is just inside the frame rail on the rear hump as the frame goes over the axle.

I only could get the top of the mount to show. The bottom of the mount is a 1-1.5" diameter circular extension stub that fits into a hole in the frame. I got a pic on from the underside where you can see that stub sticking through. It just sits in there and the car comes down and rests on top of the cup you see in that first pic.

From the side you can stick your finger in over the frame rail and feel down into the hole if your car is not sagging too much and if your finger is not too fat.

Hope that helps.

Larry

V6underPressure,

I have not experimented, but MAP has done quite a bit of research. He is a real expert on this. If you search for his posts you will find quite a bit of information.

There is a sticky on Montecarloss.com in the rolling chassis section about this subject. MAP has made quite a bit of posting information there.

body bushings - Monte Carlo SS Message Board

Hope this helps.

V6underPressure,

I have not experimented, but MAP has done quite a bit of research. He is a real expert on this. If you search for his posts you will find quite a bit of information.

There is a sticky on Montecarloss.com in the rolling chassis section about this subject. MAP has made quite a bit of posting information there.

body bushings - Monte Carlo SS Message Board

Hope this helps.

Looks like he used stiffer at all four corners and soft in the middle. That makes sense. Can't say I will do that with mine, but excellent info for someone looking for a little more stability without the harsh ride.

another Vote for Poly.

My original bushings were junk, some even missing. I purchased energy suspensions poly bushing kit w/ all the bushings, then ordered the body bolt kit from Kirbans.

Why would you spend money on a bushing that is going to fail over time again?

Stiffened the car up, all in a good way. It's all about the handling right??

Just my experience, like others said, too many pro's not to use poly bushings.

I was going through a box of bodymounts and I'm short 6 lowers but I have 8 of the 457941 should I use these, or get 6 457915's also I have 2 upper bushings # 14032560 what are these for?

just got done installing poly mounts and it drives a little harder put it feels great nice and tight it doesnt feel saggy anymore

The Grand Prix mounts are given earlier in this thread. Here are the rest of the G-Body body mounts

Mount____Cutlass__Regal___Monte____Cutlass__Regal___Monte
Location_Upper____Upper___Upper____Lower____Lower___Lower
2________356561___330986__10005267_457915___457915__457941
3________330942___348080__330951___377801___377801__377801
4________348080___348080__330951___457915___457915__457915
5________556755___None____488610___None_____None____None
6________330951___330942__488610___377801___377801__377801
7________25500592_1242754_14032560_377801___377801__377801

I am not sure what the GNX had for body mounts.

The 14032560 are position 7 uppers for the Monte Carlo

457941 were traditionally used for position 2 on the Monte Carlo. They are the same height as 457915, but a little softer. 377801 is about 1/4" shorter. Height is not as important in lowers.

The lowers from softer to harder are: 457941, 377801, 457915. I have been told that 457915 will work for position 1 upper and all lowers 2-7.

I think it is a matter of choice. In the Regal several of the mounts were left off, so adding anything stiffens up the ride.