Bolt-on upgrade turbo...

TiClone

Can someone tell me what would be a good bolt-on, upgrade turbo for a basically stock Turbo Regal.

Fuel pump upgraded with AFPR.

RedArmstrong 92 chip
TerryHuston DP
3" exhaust
2600 stall

:confused:

No turbo will make your combo faster as is. A larger turbo will require higher boost to make more HP than your current set up.

The Stock turbo with the boost turned up will outflow the stock injectors.

If you want to go faster than you are currently going, get an alcohol kit (and turn up the boost) or spend your turbo upgrade money on race gas (and turn up the boost).

With boost and race gas and traction, the stock turbo is good into the low twelves (along with the injectors). I wouldn't upgrade until then, because you'll need to upgrade both.

I agree. The reason why I'm asking is the stock is blowing smoke. So I figured that instead of rebuilding the stock one or replacing with a stock replacement, a bolt-on upgrade would make more dollars and cents.

:D

If you are never planing to run faster than 12.00, get a rebuilt center section for less than $300.

If you have your sights on an 11 second timeslip, upgrade the turbo, but don't go bigger than a TA49/TE44 until you get bigger injectors and even after that, bigger than a TA60, you'll need more converter.

Hey thanks for the advice! Any suggestions on a reputable shop to do the rebuild and/or a sale on a TA49/TE44.

Here are two good ones:

Limit Engineering
Precision Turbo and Engine

Use the search feature for contact information.

I think a TE-44 with the Garrett exhaust housing is a great turbo for the street.

Good luck.

I would go with the PT-52, 53 or 54. Great turbo for even a mild setup. Spools very quick, and pulls hard up top.

Jose

i just had the same dilema. My stocker was leaking oil so I upgraded to a TA60. Spool-up is slower but is not to bad even with the stock converter(I also have street tires). If you get a converter and a big turbo then you have to get sticky tires or all your power will be invane. I picked the TA60 after reading alot of posts and opinions and it matched best as to how fast I want my car to go and I am very happy with my choice. My suggestion would to be read as much as you can, compare what everybody has to say about the various ones, and choose what would be best for you. The more you read, the more obvious it will become as to what you want.

There's a new stock turbo on E-Bay right now,
Item # 2467662659- the price looks right, for now

I loved the TA49, spooled almost exactly like the stocker even with the stock converter. Upgrading the injectors is a very good idea too. BTW, if you're looking to go beyond a stock setup I have mine and the injectors for sale if interested. :)

Same, I got a Stage 4 Cheetah turbo w/ injectors/deltagate/headers/downpipe for sale cheap =) 600$ takes it all PM me =).

Hey guys thanks for all the info and offers. This post is actually for a friend who is new to the Turbo Buicks. I'm a SyTy man myself and just trying to pass on some knowledge to him. I'll let him know about the offers and see what he says. Thanks again and BIG UP to TB BB! :D