You can type here any text you want

boost on pump gas

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well of course our laws of physics are different. We are farther away from the equator, so the magnetic flux resonance induces more of a harmonic variance. Coupled with our higher oxygen content due to our closer proximity to the North pole, and the negative psychological effects caused by our devalued dollar, plus the neuron synapse deadening effects of our beer... Yup, we have more boost. :D:

Paul

I believe what strikeeagle may have been alluding to is the power plate. From the web site that sells the plate, it looks like boost can be added with not much gain in power.

I would be curious to see where the boost is measured and then compare to boost in the lower manifold.

Before anybody has a cow, reread my post. I said "gain in power" and for about $60 one should not expect a huge gain in power.

Hey Steve,

Actually, I wasn't alluding to the PP.

I was alluding to the fact that the laws of physics say that if you're running big boost with pump gas, you must also be doing something (low timing, weirdo cam, whatever) to counteract it. Thus, you're not really getting benefit of that big boost number you so enjoy throwing around.

How many times have we heard "It's all in the tuning"? Well, that's all well and good, but as a wise man once pointed out, some combination of cylinder pressure, cylinder temperature and octane will result in detonation. You can tune your azz off my friend, but like death and taxes, you ain't gonna change that.

:D

Strikeeagle

I agree with you to a point.
Yes, certain laws of physics apply here, such as cylinder pressure, temperature, octane rating, but there are also the other variable to take into consideration. Cylinder head flow and combustion chamber work (P&P), spark plug heat range, gap, piston type, use of coatings, correct fueling, engine load, design and efficiency of intake and exhaust systems, turbo and intercooler, etc., all play a role in suppressing detonation.
The manipulation of ignition timing is not just based upon RPM, like it was in the old days of distributor weights and springs. It is now a fine tuning science, where the events can be altered significantly thus yielding more efficiency. Fueling is critical as well.

Hey, just go back a few years ago, and we were crushing FP regulators and using Hyper*** Chips ;) We have come leaps and bounds from where we were technically, and continue to take steps forward every day. Guys like Bob Bailey, Jay Carter, Eric Marshal, keep on pushing the envelope allowing us to be quicker and to go faster. Yes " It is all in the tuning" but without the great trade offs that you are alluding too.

Fact: Without any other changes, I added a Power Plate and Dutt big neck intercooler, and was able to raise my boost levels a few lbs without any detonation. This also happened when I stepped up from the stock turbo to a 44.

There seems to be a unwritten law about, how stock turbo setups and lower levels of boost seem to favour higher timing, and setups with larger turbo's seem to benefit from higher boost levels with less timing. To me, it is finding that line where the best of both worlds intersect, and then finding which yields the most hp after that point .

Remember a few years ago when they said that it was impossible to get more than 1 HP/cu in...

In all seriousness, some of the gas North of the border is different from it's Southern counterparts, just as European gas has a different chemical composition. That fact, is why you will hear a lot of the guys up here, getting away with running higher boost levels.

FWIW
Scientists have gathered all measurable data, and applied the laws of physics, and have proved, that a Bumble Bee cannot fly. (Don't laugh too hard, this is a fact) But the Bumble bee doesn't know what science is, so it flies anyway ;)

Paul :)

Your points are well taken, but I prefer Curt Schilling's view of the world. When asked if his D-Backs could stand up to the Yankees mystique and aura, Schilling observed that Mystique and Aura were dancers...

:D

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
12 to 15 psi on REAL pump gas PISS they sell in every place but the east coast

if you can run more then 15 psi on the stuff they call 91 octane here in AZ you should get a ****ing metal!

Dathan
I hear you there man. 15psi. tops here in Tucson, Az

Well I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it on my own car last week.

Timing 23/21 (My race setup)
Boost 22lbs.
Pure 93 BP/Amoco

212/212 comp flat tappet and ported stock heads.
CAS V4R with a TA-64 Q trim
Precision plenum and power plate

7.10 at 97 mph on 275/50 BFG drag radials driven 45 minutes to the track. Could it make a 1/4 mile pass with this setup and no knock? I don't know but it does fine in the 1/8th.

With my setup after tuning I am hoping for 20 on 93. 22 would be a wet dream. How are you tuning Dusty? FAST?

I did a car yesterday, GTQ67, ESP front mount, heads, 9x11, 212 flat tappet cam, etc.. we we're blowing 26 PSI with 710's for o2's without any issues on the juice. Cars that have better detonation control, you shoot them with a little alky.. man do they wake up. I bet a car like Dusty's with alky can blow 27-28 zero knock lean and mean. Easy. And that extra 6 PSI .3- .4 off that 1/8 mile. Thats 10.6-10.8 range

Them bigger IC's, bigger turbo's, heads, cam, etc.. wake the motors up big time as to detonation control.

On the stock stuff.. fugedaboutit ;)

no higher than 15 lbs on straight 93 here...i've had it as high as 27 psi with alcohol injection and 93...this was with a bone stock motor and TE-44 turbo with 50's and stock intercooler

Back