You can type here any text you want

Boost pickup location

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dmarx

OK, need some tecnical help from the all knowing. The '28 Essex Turbo is for paint , A/C, and wiring. I am using a Dakota Digital boots guage. So, where can I pick up the vacuum with an electronic boost detector.
Regards
dan

To pick up a boost signal it will have to be below ar at the "foot" of the turbo Dan. This will give you vacuum and boost when the turbo kicks in. If you want just vacuum then some where before the carb.

I would pick it up from somewhere after the foot of the turbo in the intake. to me this is the most accurate place to see what the boost and vaccum is to the motor. the port at the foot is only for the actuator IMHO.

here are some updated pix. The exhaust was modified to fit the frame and steering. Just need to bend a down pipe. Engine runs great.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 84
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 79
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 83
  • engine right.jpg
    engine right.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 65
Can we come to a consensus on the best location for an electronic boost pickup? I can use the foot or how about just before the plenum and before the carb?
Dan

Like the new avitar Dan.:D

As far as location it's got to be after the compressor wheel so the foot or the intake are the only 2 places you can get a boost signal.

Off topic sorta....

Im curious if you picked up the boost pressure pre foot and in an intake runner how much the pressure difference would be or if there is any drop.

Put one gauge in the turbo between the compressor and the foot and one in the intake runner to see if there is any pressure drop after you get through all the restrictions. Does the foot and intake create a noticeable pressure restriction or does it just create turbulence.

you would see a difference weather there is restriction or not. Typically, this is why the actuator is plumbed off the foot, because the pressure immediatly out of the compressor is going to be higher then once it enters the intake. You want the actuator to see the compressor pressure.... as the "Hit" it sees in the signal is what helps the diaphram over come the spring pressure.

This is why I suggest that the boost take off, is always from the manifold. it gives you the most realistic image of the amount of boost the engine is actually seeing.

Now, if you want to measure some type of inlet restriction, simply add a vaccum gauge to the port right before the turbo on the plenum. if you see more than 2"hg of vaccum at WOT then your carb is too small.

Cool, thanks for the input. That seemed like one of those ask AJ type questions.​

Back