Boostmaster signing off !!!

One of the main reasons people no longer post here is all the crap... I have said it once I'll say it a thousand times, if you have absolutely nothing positive to add or help someone, why are you here???

If you want to post in a positive effective matter so be it.

This used to be a place that offered help and advice, too bad it's getting away from that.

I agree with what you're saying here Jamie.

And on that note I present Pete's first post in Miamigranny's conversion post:

Sorry but this has been covered a gazillion times........how about using the search feature. Besides those words are blasphamey in this forum. Don't you hear the crickets?????

Pete

Helpful?:confused:Positive?:confused:

I think not.

Just sayin.

i'm new, but i do have a hot-air car and my reasons for wanting to convert. as someone posted above: finding parts. i can find stock and aftermarket parts for an 86-87 ALL day long. for my car? not so much. i have to "modify" this and "make adjustments" to that.
i love working on cars. don't get me wrong. i bought this as a project to play with.
but.. i need it to be reasonable. i don't want my car parked for a month while i fabricate or search for some hard-to-find part. as an example, only after a week of searching did i finally find a downpipe i want to use. it's part of the learning curve.. just saying i found about 50 for the IC cars before coming across a website that had one for my car.
it seems the IC cars are just... easier.
not only that, but the challenge of swapping to a newer setup sounds challenging and fun. i've looked into it and it's something i can take my time with and enjoy.
now.. hot-rodding is usually about doing what you can with the car to get the results you want. people put newer stuff in place of the older stuff 'cause.. well. that's what we do. otherwise, the muscle car era would never have come about.
for some, it's about progressing. if we have these awesome parts to swap on, why stick with outdated equipment?
that being said, i was DEAD SET on a conversion before i even found my car. i still plan too. but.. now i may wait. i'm doing some research on how to toss an FMIC on my '85. if i can find a way to cool the charge temps, then i may be able to get the results i want form my current setup. and for MUCH less. now i'm finding i may not have to convert other than the ECU. i don't really care if i'm HA or IC, as long as the car is capable of a high 11sec/low 12 sec run.

if i can do that with my HA setup, i'm in.

so... just saying, for some of us, the reason we're doing what we're doing is probably for a reason. we're not buying the car as a collector item. we're buying them because we love the cars.

i understand the "purist" point-of-view. i recently owned a car that had some of the most hard-core purist views of anyone i've come across. it was nuts. if you changed a single part on the car, you were flamed all day long and ostracized for doing something different. how DARE someone change something on their car. blah blah.

so. agreed that this is the HA forum. so.. what is suggested? move any conversion threads to the IC forum? if the HA section is going to be strict, then that's what should happen. after that, are the former HA car owners now required to post in the FI area?

i'm not trying to be facetious, just making a point that there needs to be a line drawn, if people are going to catch heat for posting here when they "shouldn't". it just seems to be a bit of a sticky situation.

so. what does everyone suggest? not allow IC-related posts and threads? they can be moved to the proper forum, yes?

and if i ad a FMIC to my HA car.. where do i post? LOL I'm still gonna need your guys' help!! :)

I agree with what you're saying here Jamie.

And on that note I present Pete's first post in Miamigranny's conversion post:

Sorry but this has been covered a gazillion times........how about using the search feature. Besides those words are blasphamey in this forum. Don't you hear the crickets?????

Pete

Helpful?:confused:Positive?:confused:

I think not.

Just sayin.

I would ask why is that so negative, it's been posted over and over, the search feature works fine.

kaj... Keep posting... period. if people want to beat the crap out of your inbox because of your goals, let them. Your goals are yours. your car is yours. people offer THEIR advice, and THEIR experiences. This forum was created so that those with the "hot air" cars could find like minded individuals with common goals and such. if your goals do not fit that criteria, this may not be the best fit forum for you, but if it is close, fire away!

If you want to convert, good luck! I wish I had the cash to just go buy one and have both cars!!!! but I dont, so im a hot air purist!!! Im taking the challenge and Im trying to build a nice hot air. I would add an intercooler maybe if it were free... but if I have to pay a premium for it, I would rather just go buy an 86-7 car. but that is not a discussion for the hot air forum. Talking about my bad @$$ 84 motor and cool parts for it, that is for the hot air forum!

Good luck and keep posting!

John

kaj... Keep posting... period. if people want to beat the crap out of your inbox because of your goals, let them. Your goals are yours. your car is yours. people offer THEIR advice, and THEIR experiences. This forum was created so that those with the "hot air" cars could find like minded individuals with common goals and such. if your goals do not fit that criteria, this may not be the best fit forum for you, but if it is close, fire away!

If you want to convert, good luck! I wish I had the cash to just go buy one and have both cars!!!! but I dont, so im a hot air purist!!! Im taking the challenge and Im trying to build a nice hot air. I would add an intercooler maybe if it were free... but if I have to pay a premium for it, I would rather just go buy an 86-7 car. but that is not a discussion for the hot air forum. Talking about my bad @$$ 84 motor and cool parts for it, that is for the hot air forum!

Good luck and keep posting!

John

i triiiiiieeeed to find an '86 or '87 but none were in my price range. in fact, i REALLY didn't want a t-top.. but that's what i ended up with.

i'm 99% sure i'll end up selling this car to buy an '86-87 hard top.

after doing some reading, i don't see that i need to do a full conversion any more. but i AM trying to find a way to intercool the car. it looks like i'll be doing a TB and plenum swap with the associated parts. done. maybe, MAYBE an '86-87 turbo if a cheap one fall in my lap.
i don't have any power goals, at this time, so my modifications will be quite basic.

It's really you decision what you do with your car, what I would suggest though is making sure it runs really good before doing this. A lot of people throw parts at a car and never can figure it out. Take your time and do research and think out side the box. If I had listened to every tom, dick and butt head I would never have had a 10 second hot air. I did chose to run on corn last year more to save $$ over race fuel then anything else, the other benefits have been great though. I will never have an intercooler because I don't think I need one nor have I ever even thought about it, however I have 2 intercooled cars I can drive pretty much anytime. (Okay one for now, until I paint the other one but I'm just saying)It's not about what other people think anyways it's about what you want to do for your goal for your car.

It's really you decision what you do with your car, what I would suggest though is making sure it runs really good before doing this. A lot of people throw parts at a car and never can figure it out. Take your time and do research and think out side the box. If I had listened to every tom, dick and butt head I would never have had a 10 second hot air. I did chose to run on corn last year more to save $$ over race fuel then anything else, the other benefits have been great though. I will never have an intercooler because I don't think I need one nor have I ever even thought about it, however I have 2 intercooled cars I can drive pretty much anytime. (Okay one for now, until I paint the other one but I'm just saying)It's not about what other people think anyways it's about what you want to do for your goal for your car.

I'd like to think nobody would modify a car that doesn't run right. That's a given. Do you guys actually have people that come on here to upgrade their car because it doesn't run right???
I guess some people just understand how cars work. LOL. Funny stuff.
Anyway, I agree with all you said. E85 would be awesome. We don't have it here. I wish.

I wish NJ would overcome the politics and $$$ pocket lining bull $H!T and allow E85 to come up the coast!!! Appearantly having more than 1 refinery in the state madates you cant have cheap nice fuel... effing politicians....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

John:biggrin:

I wish NJ would overcome the politics and $$$ pocket lining bull $H!T and allow E85 to come up the coast!!! Appearantly having more than 1 refinery in the state madates you cant have cheap nice fuel... effing politicians....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

i'm with you. i don't buy into conspiracy theories.. but there has to be a reason the pumps are few and far between. there are towns about an hour from me that carry e85. i don't know why Fresno has none, though we are far larger. i know the oil companies have a lot of pull with all the money they have.. but damn. give us some options.
i see "flex fuel" vehicles up and down the streets. you would think the pumps would follow suit.
eh well. more crappy 91 oct for $4.20/gal, please!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

They just don't want the scum in NJ drinking all the profits up John.:biggrin::eek: To many dead beat voters would end up dead that way.:cool::eek:

I know I'm late to the game to you guys. I'm pretty much new to the board, but for anyone who wants to listen let me tell you about my experience. I bought my first grand national last year. Found out it was a hot air when I showed up to inspect it, but it is what it is. I planned on converting it. As the money flew from my hands to fix my dream car, one of the last gm muscle cars, I enjoyed it. As anyone who has read my posts my car is a nightmare, but I love the clunker lol. Recently I bought a ta44 turbo for it, Gbody downpipe, and many other things. Even over the weekend I had an oil filter come apart and go through my engine. Destroyed rod bearings, mains, etc. But what I did figure out is I plan on buying a stroker, and have noticed I love this thing eventhough it's not intercooled. Who knows I may never intercool it. There is enthusiasm flowing into hot airs more than anyone gives credit and for that I congratulate anyone who stands by us. I'm just a parts counter guy for a chain store and don't make much at all, but if it means fixing the beast and eating ramen I'll do it. Gbody can tell you that I don't ever buy junk, I buy what's needed for what I want lol. My plans changed from going I/c to trying to run Brent down at the strip once, never gonna be able to catch him, but I'll try. Enthusiasm comes from the individuals and as I have seen a lot of people are giving up due to lack of support. Everyone I have asked for help has been there but with Gbody being the only vendor supporting these cars we are SOL. One thing I will say to close out this book of a post, all of you who have responded to this post male this forum a tight group of individuals and for anyone to disappear off the map you will be missed by those of us still here. And of course the final notion I will give is if someone wants to I/c or big block there car, ultimately it is there car, but hot air enthusiasts will always be here no matter how few of us there are.

i here ya. i'm just starting to get into my 85. i love it. even though its a hot air. if i want an intercooled, i'll buy one. but i like to see cars kept the way they were intended, just my thing. not for everyone, but i like it. brian and gbody are the only vendor for us and it is tough to find parts for our cars, but it's about the journey for me, not the end. it gives me a chance to pop a top, turn to 99.5 the WOLF, and work in a garage with my dad, just like he did with his. cars bring people together, i'm just thankful to be part of the culture now.