You can type here any text you want

Bose or not?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve87GN

Oh come on...its just a 6
I have this on-going argument with my dad on the factory Concert Sound II system. He keeps saying that the CS II system is a Bose system, at least designed by them with the Delco name on the parts. I think he's wrong, that it was an optional system that GM offered on the car and was created in-house, so-to-speak. So, who is right here? Or are we both wrong? Thanks in advance everyone.

In the 80's Bose did have their name on some GM radios. We had an 85 Corvette that had the Bose sound system. It may have even had a Bose nameplate on the speaker grills in the door and hatch area. The radio was by memory identical to my CS II unit in my GN. Your dad may not be wrong. I'll bet Bose had a hand in the early design and GM decided to save some $ on their sound systems and had the Bose name removed. I can remember rocking out to many a band who shall remain nameless on that Bose system and it sounded good!

mikec1969 said:
The radio was by memory identical to my CS II unit in my GN. Your dad may not be wrong.

It's a totally different head unit. The bose units have a seperate tuner pack.

I hate reviving old threads, but my dad and I are getting into this again and I'd like to settle this, regardless of who may be right. Any help would be much appreciated.

FYI, many moons ago I had the tape deck in the Delco graphic equalizer stereo from my GN repaired. The tape deck portion was sourced from Blaupunkt.

I highly doubt Bose had any hand in the concert sound. All of Bose's install had seperate amps that were at the speakers and modified AC delco deck that had odd impedeances. Bose is pretty much an inexpensive speaker that is optomized and engineered to make it sound good (ie ported enclosures/seperate amps)

If you take the speakers out of a concert sound and compare it to a regal/cutlass speakers it's identical. So I really don't think bose has nothing to do on the audio for the g-bodys. If it were bose there would amplified at each speaker and the surround on the older bose speaker is a ribbed type cloth.

I think GM first started to add the bose option in the early 90's on the 4th gen camaro's. So he might have gotten the cars mixed up.

Only the Corvette and MAYBE select Cadillac models had Bose designed systems back then, and I'm not 100% sure about the Caddy....

Only the Corvette and MAYBE select Cadillac models had Bose designed systems back then, and I'm not 100% sure about the Caddy....

this is correct, all bose systems from the TB (late 80's)era had amplifiers on each speaker and they were two ohm speakers ( the tuners were in the radios then too,TURBOV6 is thinking of an later model ).all bose systems will have the name BOSE written somewhere on speaker grill,radio,etc.

HTH.

I highly doubt Bose had any hand in the concert sound. All of Bose's install had seperate amps that were at the speakers and modified AC delco deck that had odd impedeances. Bose is pretty much an inexpensive speaker that is optomized and engineered to make it sound good (ie ported enclosures/seperate amps)

this is right too,didn't see this the first read through.

also CS II speakers should be a higher ohm (10 ohm) so when the two front Left,and two Right speakers were wired in parallel,the ohm load wouldn't be greater than 4 ohm, because no special radio was used unless you got the eq version.

That helps a lot guys, thanks. Hopefully we can settle this finally.

My friend had an 85 TA with factory Bose system. Had 2 ways in dash,4x6 2 ways and a 5" sub in the rear locations(in an enclosure)instead of the 6x9's and a sub controll under the edge of the dash pad left of the center ac vents.
Only one I have ever seen though. This TA had so many options it had 2 window stickers from GM.

Back