Bought A sour Tranny

Stripedss

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster.

I did a terrible thing, bought asupposedly high performance tranny off Ebay back in March of this year. I'm restoring a 87 Monte SS. I'm just now getting around to installing it. Trying to reconnect the shifter the tranny won't travel to the neutral position. It only travels from 1st to 3rd gear. Plus when I dropped the pan there was a bolt in it and a small amount of dirty fluid. Your thoughts please, and don't be gentle. Thanks

let the buyer beware

It's an old latin saying, and still holds true. I would suggest contacting E-Bay and see if they can help arbitrate your situation if in fact, this is a used and non-fuctioning part. If it was mis- represented on E-Bay, they do frown heavily on that kind of thing.
If they aren't able to help, the first thing you need to do is get a proper id on the trans itself. Let us know how things play out for you on this one, OK?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mark :D

Found out that the guy that sold me the Tranny has been suspended from e-bay. I called the phone number I had for him and it is no longer in use. Talking about going from bad to worse I do have an address though, from the shipping label.

Back to the tranny, why would it not shift into neutral, or 4th, reverse, and park for that matter???

your shifter won't travel or the manual lever link on the tranny itself won't travel? As for the bolt I would find out where it came from before you prceed any further, what is the head size most likely 10-13mm and how long is it? Any bolt in the pan should be able to be see where it came from.

Stripedss

Call me personally. Let me see what I can do to help you out.
Call shop and how far are you from Atlanta?

Bruce
WE4

The bolt came from a position just aft of the filter, I hand tightened it back for now. The head is 10mm. The manual shifter on the tranny won't travel. I have the original tranny still and the shifter on it moves with no problems. Bruce I am in Hampton, about 16 miles south of Atlanta. Thanks guys.