You can type here any text you want

Brake light and suspension question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tzque

I just bought a 1987 GN that was driven only 1,000. miles a year .
When I first bought the car it was fine . My intentions is to drive this car . I think that is what the are meant to do . After two days the brake light came on . I pulled the rear wheels and both brake pistons were frozen only pushing one side of the shoes . I replaced them and bleed the system . At first the light stayed on . I rebleed them had a very hard brake but eventaully the light went out . Now once in awhile the brake light still comes on but the car does have brakes . I am not comfortable driving aound this way . I called a local GN shop and they advised me to change the whole system . As I said I just bougt the car so that is a little costly for me now . What is the first area I should attack . Alot of threads say change the accumator ball . Is this the first place I should try . The person that helped me with the brakes thinks its the brake sensor . I dont think so .
My second question is regarding the suspension. I drove to a local car cruise and raced my brothers 60 over 455 motored 442 . We started off pretty even . I thought I might jump out on him a little faster .The probelm I had is that once he and I got going the front end of the car got real light . My other car is a 455 79 ta and it never felt like this . Is this usual or do I need to replace the front springs and shocks ? The car also has the only one person driving it lean on the drivers side . What should I do . Sorry for the wordy thread

Find the brake light problem before you all a sudden have no brakes when you need them most.Yes accums are probably the most common cause of this.Improper servicing isnt good either.Pump system 10 times w/key off to check level.Look near pedal area inside car for signs of leaks.Can ou hear pump turning on once key is turned on.The pumps also go south and cant make pressure needed,running too long will blow fuse-check that also.None of these parts are cheap and converting over to vacuum brakes is cheaper in the long run.

I have read other suggestion that say switch to vacuum . What does that entail and where do you get a vacumm system from ie is it a kit or the stock regal brake system . could you please explain vacuum system . I know this will help other people as well . It seems that the stock brake system is a problem . My car is all stock does it effect the value ?

The kit you can get from Redregalt is probably quite a bit cheaper than a new accumulator ball, switch, or pump. I replaced the powermaster on my car once. It went out again and I switched to vacuum. If the PM goes out and you don't notice it you could have serious problems. I mean the loss of stopping power is amazing. Go vacuum. The kit is cheap, and it's easy to swap out. Pretty much a brakebooster, a brake pedal, and a couple hoses. No big deal, and lots of peace of mind. HTH

Back