You can type here any text you want

Brake pipe fitting sizes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Timbuick

I'm currently in the process of removing the main front to rear brake pipe that links the proportioning valve to the rear axle connection.
The unions at each end are a different size. Can anyone please tell me what size and the thread type each of these two unions is as i need to get new ones?Thanks

the frame steel line is 1/4" invert flare from prop to the top of the rubber hose with junction block

the lines on the axle from the junction block to the wheel cylinders are 3/16" invert flare

Thanks for the quick reply, Paul. Any idea on the size/thread type of the connectors at either end of the pipe from the prop valve rearwards?

1/4" invert flare thats the size , more specifically its the male fitting

The nut is probably 7/16" X 24, and they are double flared I believe like most all brake lines.

Classic tube has a nice stainless section that you can use for that repair.

You can also cut out the bad part reflare the good stock tube with new nuts on it, and install two 1/4" adapters and a new section of pre-bought line with 1/4" nuts on it, but why bother unless it's an emergency repair when you can get new stainless line in there. :cool:

It should be straightforward, but being in the UK with only metric applications available, its getting trick!

Guys, I'm still chasing this brake union down without success.

Is this the correct part?

BRASS 7 16 MALE UNION FOR 1 4 Pipe BU71614M

It is UNF thread. If not which American type thread is it? I can't believe how many auto factors have told me they dont recognise the thread type!

My GN is off the road for $1 item:confused:

heres a link to a bag of them from a US auto chain store

Advance Auto Parts: Steel Tube Nut - 10 Per Bag - 1/4" (7/16-24) Inverted by American Grease Stick Co. - Part BLF-13

you still need to have 1/4 steel tubing and a double flare tool kit
if you want to splice to a line line you'll also need 1/4" invert flare union

over here they also stock premade lines in various sizes (even metric) in lengths from 6" - 60" which run under 10 bucks for the 60" and have the brass unions on the shelf making repairs easy for the DIY .

Thanks Paul, that ties in with what i'm looking at. Appreciate your effort.I live in a small coastal surf town with no useful garages and car factors that only sell parts for rice/Eurobox cars. Makes simple stuff sometimes difficult:redface:

If you have any friends, relatives etc. in the States you could easily get them to mail the stuff to you in a box, depending upon the length you need.

Couplers are readily available as are the nuts here and premade lines in most any parts store.

Shipping isn't that bad from here to there either.

Classic Tube bends the stainless lines in 2 places on the long ones, they might ship them to you pre-made and ready to go.

You can't bend the steel ones easily that's for sure but you could string a couple of them together with 2 unions etc.

A double flare kit available in any parts store can be shipped over there too.

Just my .02.

Other than that perhaps search out a foreign application built in the US or by a US manufacturer that uses American 1/4" lines. That to me would be more work.

I was able to install the long rear stainless Classic tube line on a lift and got most if not all the mounting points attached.

Maybe they ship to your location?

I'm currently in the process of removing the main front to rear brake pipe that links the proportioning valve to the rear axle connection.
The unions at each end are a different size. Can anyone please tell me what size and the thread type each of these two unions is as i need to get new ones?Thanks

The fitting at the proportioning valve is for a 1/4 inch line with 9/16–18 tubing nut. There are 9/16–18 inverted male thread adapters available to standard 1/4 inch tube nuts. (Note 9/16 is the outside diameter of the threads and 18 is the number of threads per inch)

It is common to use a Weatherhead catalog number 9708 part (Dual Master Cylinder Adapter 1/4 (9/16–18) inverted male thread to 1/4 (7/16–24) inverted female thread) to adapt this odd size to standard 1/4 inch tube nuts

The fitting at the end of the flexible hose at the differential will accept the standard 7/16–24 tube nut for the 1/4 tube.

Hopefully this information will help you find adapters to replace this line with standard British tubing and fittings.

Hope this information helps

Thanks uys, that really is helpful, specific information.
I think i've found them, albeit in the states, but that's a start

Oversize 1/4" Steel Tube Nuts (9/16"-18) - Packge of 5: eBay Motors (item 370420229672 end time Sep-13-10 12:35:01 PDT)

Brake tubing at 1/4" is not a problem now, it's just that brake nut!

You can use the old fitting if you want.just cut the line flush with fitting and use a socket to remove from valve then some heat and a punch and it will come out and just install on new line . make sure you install on line before flaring. If not go to the parts store and they have a brass fitting that adapts 1/4 line fitting to 9/16 thread of the prop valve hope this helps.Napa has that fitting.

Back