You can type here any text you want

Brand new 153 (4.1) on centre stage 2 block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Originally posted by JoyOf6
As a follow-up to the extra water port situation, I plugged them yesterday: ran a reamer down each hole so a 1/2" pipe tap could easily engage, and ran the tap deep enough to sink pipe plugs.

In case anyone who doesn't know actually cares about this minutia, the surface diameter of each water port varied no less than 0.010" depending on where it is measured and not all the holes were identical in their max diameters (mine ranged from 0.631-0.643 max hole-to-hole).

Thanks to Cal and Bill for their responses here and to Todd and Brent for private counseling. ;)

Were these extra ports in anticipation of a proposed change to a
reverse cooling system design at GM that never happened?

Art

For the sake of someone who doesn't know any better, what holes need to be blocked??
I may not even need to, don't know, since I have something of a hybrid aluminum block.

Originally posted by TurboDave
For the sake of someone who doesn't know any better, what holes need to be blocked??
I may not even need to, don't know, since I have something of a hybrid aluminum block.

Sorry, can't help with the "holes" thing, but what do you mean that you have a hybrid block? Are you using an old stage 2 aluminum indy block?

Originally posted by Big Stu
Sorry, can't help with the "holes" thing, but what do you mean that you have a hybrid block? Are you using an old stage 2 aluminum indy block?

Well, I wouldn't exactly call them an "indy" block. They are patterened after BMS blocks. They have a Buick 6 logo on them, but absolutely NO numbers of any kind.
They were originally cast by M & A for Scott Brayton Engineering (the late Indy driver).
Not sure of how many were originally cast, since I've heard numbers between 9 and 11. They are for the most part an on center SII motor with some interesting differences.
I had two, sold one.

Originally posted by TurboDave

The outer two of the six coolant holes across the top of the deck on this version of the 153. More than likely yours won't have them but worth a look. I will e-mail you a pic.

Art

Originally posted by JoyOf6
The outer two of the six coolant holes across the top of the deck on this version of the 153. More than likely yours won't have them but worth a look. I will e-mail you a pic.

Art

Thanks Art. Got them, and you're right, my block doesn't have them.

Deck Steam Holes

My Stage Heads do not have steam holes on the lower (outer) portion of the head to coinside with the block that does have holes drilled (I WONDER WHY).

Should the block (outer) steam holes be plugged when using the MLS gasket?

To plug: Tap and w/Sq. tapered (soft iron) plug, broke off and surfaced = no more steam hole (s).

Also: add 1 small bottle of BARS stop leak as insurance against leaks...

Also: Why isn't the cam retaining plate (Danny Bee) indexed @ 180 degrees to keep from entering an oil gallery, as would be a 120 degree design?
You guessed it, the assembled short block gets to come apart (again)...

Have I missed anything?

:rolleyes:

Back