You can type here any text you want

Brand new Eagle GTII's super slippery.. typical?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
I had 235 wide Eagle GTII's on the car. They were seasoned and could readily pull 1.9's at the track. I just swapped them out for 275/60-15 Eagle GTII's, same tire just taller and wider.

The new rubber is unbelievably slippery. I can spin them all the way down the street and they don't squeal hardly at all. The old ones squealed like crazy - made lots of racket. but they hooked up nicely past 35mph or so.

Is this typical for a new radial? Do they have a mold release agent on them that I need to burn through or something? WTF?

I'm gonna go find a nice quiet place and heat these babies up a bit to see if maybe they'll "tenderize" or break-in or something. Kinda weird that my old hard dry radials of the same brand and model worked better than brand new ones....

Yup, most new tires are "slippery" for the first few miles. I have noticed that the older molds are even worse; Eagle GTII, Radial T/A's, Firehawk's, etc. They'll be fine in a few miles.

Got a bit over 100 miles on them now, getting much better. Another 100 miles or so and they should be ready for a visit to the track.

Would you mind posting some pics of your car with these tires on? Currently looking at them myself for my 87 GN. TIA

Back