break-in questions ....... leaking oil pump

BW Jones

i helped install a newly rebuilt 87 GN engine in a buddy's car. during break-in of the cam, we noticed the headers were glowing 'red hot' as we kept the engine speed between 2000-2500 RPM for 20 to 25 minutes. his temp guage briefly climbed to around 200 degrees. just wanted to know if this is typical or not.

also ......... we noticed oil leaking where the oil pump housing meets the NEW front timing cover. figuring the engine builder may have had a problem with the gasket between the pump housing & front cover, we unbolted the housing and installed a new gasket. upon starting the car, we observed oil leaking again from the same location (between the oil pump housing & front cover). my only assumption is that the mating surfaces must not be truly flat allowing the oil to leak. is this likely and if so, what's the "tried & true' remedy? all input would be appreciated.
bw jones

Some header glow is common, being the engine is at a steady rpm for extended time. There's also less air flow than what would be seen on the road. [Why I use a large fan in ft of the rad, on breakins.]
Maybe take the pump cover off, and surface it on a FLAT surface, using some 400 grit paper, and lite oil.
When reassembling, BE SURE to check for gear clearance.

My new Silver Seal cover leaked there too - had a defect near one of the bolt holes where the oil filter adapter bolts to the cover:mad:

The next time you break-in the cam, do it at night, and turn off the shop lights to get the FULL effect of the header glow!!!!:biggrin: :eek: The first time we started a StageII in front of the header fabricator, he was YELLING at me to shut it OFF!!!, I just smiled and kept it running, while the 304 SS headers tried thier darndest to melt off the car. He thought that they were going to turn to dust on the shop floor. (they still working fine 8 years later;) ) I've seen the turbine housing turn bright red, too. Sure is cool!!:cool:
I've had some aftermarket timing covers that are nice quality, but most of them have "issues". I usually spend about 4+ hours setting one up. Good luck.

Thanks Much!!!!

many thanks to each of you that replied. i'm glad to know that the 'glowing headers' are not unusual.

after a significant amount of work, we got the 'river of oil' 99% cured ..... there is now only an occasional oil 'hiccup' bubble around the perimeter of the pump (which, of course, is minimal for a turbo buick:wink:).

again ....... your assistance is greatly appreciated.
bw jones

I thought it was unusual but after being around these cars and many builds about every one while held at a steady RPM will make a nice glow :)

I ended up porting the HV cover on the last one I had. I have not had one leak yet.... It sure seems like the quality has dropped since I first got one. Maby it's my imagination?

Putting some body mounts in Nic's car before doing the body work. They are shot.

I think we'll have Heather's Typhoon ready for some more heads up racing at US131 soon.
See you soon,
Scott~

oil leak

i don't know how my new front cover got past the quality control dept at silver seal (manufacturer of the front cover) ......... if there is a QC dept at all. it took alot of work & time to get this thing to finally seal completely. we discovered a defect very similar to the one 'Blown&Injected' had. should anyone purchase a front cover from S.S., thoroughy inspect if prior to installing it.

Scott .......... sounds like you beat the odds (no leaks)! :eek:
Looking forward to seeing Nick's car back on the road ....... how soon will it be done? I know he'll be very happy to get it back and be able to put some miles on it ......... drivin' the old Cavalier just isn't quite the same. :D
Bruce