BRF differences??

squeeze87

HI Guys,
I'm geting a 200-4r to have rebuilt for my WE-4. I want this to be the equal of a BRF as far as shift point RPM. What components do I need to replace when it is rebuilt? I thought it was the govener assembly, and the servo. If I add a shift kit, will the valve body be the same or is the valveing different? Also I have seen clutch packs where there are more than the original amount of clutches, how do they fit in the drums? are they thinner? Thanks for helping

The BRF specific components that comprise its calibration are:

• valve body/separator plate
  • governor
  • TV boost valve/reverse boost valve
  • pressure regulator spring
  • Intermediate servo
  • internal TCC wiring harness

Also, I'd sugest you read the Strengthening the 2004R post by Bruce. Should answer many of your questions.

More trans questions

OK, I have a CR trans that I am going to build. If I purchase a complete BRF valve body with governor, and a GN/billet servo, will this be the proper combination? What's different about the wiring harness? If I run a non-lockup TC, is it even an issue? I have read Bruce's "strengthening the 2004r" several times and didn't see anything about how more clutches are added. I'm looking for the easiest and most economical way (as I'm sure we all are) to build a trans that will see high 11's to low 12's and be reliable. If I can use this valve body and just change or modify the gov. and add a shift kit, I'll do that. Once I get all these questions answered, I'll start buying parts! Thanks again!

What you said is correct. You can buy exactly what you said and get what you would like. As for extra clutches , properly built you dont need that. In fact written many times before hurts the performance. If non lock your also correct not an issue.

Bruce
We4
www.ptsnctb.com

BRF valve bodies are a little pricey, (almost $500). Might be better off building your original tranny or finding another complete BRF trans.

The valve body is the most expensive part of the BRF trans. If you go to buy another core, make sure that the guy lets you check out the valve body as I had one moron on this board sell me a BRF trans earlier this year before I knew how to identify the pieces. He swapped out the valve body, governor and servo wiith garden variety pieces. Basically I paid for a BRF case which is the same as any other TH2004r trans case. When I informed his some months later, he denied it and didnt make good. All I know is Karma is a bitch and what goes around comes around. He is still advertising on here!
What I look for when identifying a BRF valve body are these things:
Pink paint markings on the valve body
BR3 stamped on the side
2 pressure switches as opposed to one for a garden variety TH2004r
Make sure you get some guarantee that it hasnt been drilled for a shift kit or you will really be pulling your hair out.

valve bodies

Well, Postons has "brand new in the box GN valve bodies" for $249. I asked if these were for a BRF trans and was told these are the valve bodies GM installed on the Grand Nationals. We'll see when it gets here, if sometings wrong or it's not a brf body, they're gettin it back!

Thats awfully cheap for a new GM valve body. They have been obsolete for some time now.

They are not new!!!! I KNOW this because my partner is the one suppling them. I can tell you where they are getting them and I know they are not BRAND NEW!. The only ones I know of, I have, and there are only 10 of them left. I have searched for days the "GM" computer and I bought every one I could locate. The VB Postons have are good, don't get me wrong, but they are not NEW.
I also heard a rumor that Sonnax corp was making brf VB's, so I contacted them and heard two things. First was , we have no idea where this came from but not us.... Second, If we were doing it we would have given you one to ck out. So another rumor seems to be put to rest.........Aren't rumors great? :)

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

When I had Del Trans in Newark, DE rebuild my trans 2 months ago, I spoke to one of the guys there. He said they are going to start modifying regular TH2004r valve bodies and making them into BRF units. I remember reading Bruce's post about what was involved to do that. Not an easy task by any means.

Used valve body

As long as it's OK, and a BRF valve body, I'll use it. Thanks for your info Bruce, I'll be contacting you for parts/info as soon as I get some more funds saved up!