You can type here any text you want

Broke down - Need help troubleshoot - ECM?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jsta6

John 15:17
Car broke down.

Cranks, has power, has fuel pressure. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. When it does start, it sputters and I can smell what seems to be like a bunch of excess fuel is being added, (limp home mode or ECM is freaked out) then it stalls. I have a turbotweak chip.

I think it is the ECM...how can I be sure...???

Sometimes I forget that I have a USB cable plugged in to the powerlogger board in the ECM, and once in a while one of my children will accidentally kick the cable.

So, the ECM would freak out, and I would just wiggle and jiggle the ECM cables and the powerlogger board, and the problem would go away. This has happened a zillion times, the ECM is pretty resilient.

The powerlogger board and ECM cables are nice and snug. Nothing seems broken. I didn't try to remove the powerlogger board to see if that fixes the problem, but I guess I should try it.

How can I be sure that it is the ECM? Is my only option to swap with a known good ECM?

TIA.

I would try removing the powerlogger board. I have read it can cause problems.

This has happened a zillion times, the ECM is pretty resilient.

Maybe the 1 extra time added to the zillion is what did it.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Here is Casper's electronics # 970 776 8740 in case you need to talk about the testing of the ecm.

check engine light do the on off on thing at power on?

do you have any data (scanmaster or powerlogger)

try unplugging the MAF and see if it runs different/better.

what size injectors?

fuel pressure?

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Sorry, I forgot to put that in there:

check engine light do the on off on thing at power on?
==yes sir. The CEL comes on, goes off for 1/2 second, then back on again. Whenever I have had an ECM problem in the past, the CEL would flash off/on very quickly. It is not doing that this time.

do you have any data (scanmaster or powerlogger)
==I didn't have my laptop, but I will bring it over when I go back in a couple of hours.

try unplugging the MAF and see if it runs different/better.
==OK.

what size injectors?
==60's.

fuel pressure?
==just what was there when I turned the car off. I turned the car off for maybe 5 minutes, the problem started when I tried to start it back up...I don't hear the pump running...but that may not mean anything because it smelled pig rich when I was trying to start it...I may just have not been paying close enough attention to it...I have a hot wire kit and I can force it on as a test, if need be...

Pull the cam sensor cap. Try rotating the internals by hand. If you can rotate them, you found your problem.

Thanks again, guys.

I couldn't check this out last night...but I will be looking at it later today.

Sorry for the long delay...

...My ECM called, it wants me to stop blaming it for everything...

The problem was the fuse for the fuel pump hot wire kit.

I couldn't find anything wrong, so I just replaced the fuse. It didn't get hot or blow, so I am OK to go.

I did have a problem for several days with tan fuel pump trigger wire. I had to jumper my fuel pump hot wire relay to get going. Perhaps the relay is starting to die...???

Attachments

• fuel pump hot wire fuse.jpg
    fuel pump hot wire fuse.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 92
If it happens again, leave the fuel pump hot wire disconnected and hook it back up to "stock" l with the factory wires and see how it runs.
I had a few "hot wire relays" go bad. But every time it happened to me the fuel pump just wouldn't prime,

Faulty in-tank wiring can cause that fuse to blow as well as be an intermittent problem.

If it happens again, leave the fuel pump hot wire disconnected and hook it back up to "stock" l with the factory wires and see how it runs.
I had a few "hot wire relays" go bad. But every time it happened to me the fuel pump just wouldn't prime,

I got two new 40 amp Hella relays...

I have had problems recently. But the multimeter points to the factory fuel pump relay...I have an old one in my shed I can try.

Thanks.

Back